Is silicone caulk safe for use on food items

Actually it's not really a food item, but I have a plastic (Rubbermaid) livestock tank that has a hole in it from the tank heater melting thru it. I'm thinking about using a piece of tin, putting 100% pure silicone on the tin, and bolting it thru the plastic. But is silicone safe for this sort of use? I dont want to make my horses sick.

Or, has anyone used something else for this type of repair? I was wondering about using fiberglass autobody matting and the fiberglass liquid, but question if that will adhere to the plastic. I'm not sure what type of plastic is used on these tanks, and not sure how to find out.

Another thought is gluing the tin on with JB-Weld, but again, will it adhere to the plastic?

Then too, is fiberglass and JB-Weld safe on food items?

I was looking for the MSDS sheets for silicone, but google has 3.6 million possibilities and seems to refer to OSHA, but they dont seem to have the sheets on their HUGE website that would take days to hunt thru all of it. Then there's

which wants us to pay $499.00 for the data. Screw that! This should be free to the public. I'm at a loss where to find these sheets online.

Reply to
homeowner

The is the sealant page for McMaster Carr. Most of the sealants include the MSDS sheet once you drill down by clicking on the product number.

DerbyDad03

There's stuff made for sealing fish tanks. Suspect that's safe...but check to be sure.

Here's another place to start:

mike

Why don't you call Rubbermaid customer service and ask their advice since they would know....

SRN

Rubbermaid makes the tank, not the silicone sealant that he wants to use....

Reply to
trader4

Rubbermaid knows what type of plastic it is and what type of glue or sealant will work...

Reply to
SRN

You can find the MSDS for most such things with a simple Google search; "framis +MSDS".

Reply to
krw

...snip...

Is framis safe for use on food items?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If Rubbermaid does not help you, there is an inexpensive FDA approved silicone based caluking tube sealer/glue you can buy:

Has that traditional 'vinegar' smell. When My Hamilton Beach coffemaker started leaking, some kind person here recommended an FDA approved high temperature silicone based sealer from ?? Cost around $10 for a tube. Worked PERFECTLY! I even used it to seal cracked/split aluminum pie tin that started to leak. It does NOT stick well to plastic like you find in the store bought mashed potato tubs.

As long as you use the selant as just that a gasketing material it will work for you.

I put the contact info in a place where I will always be able to find it instantly ...and can't remember where that is. Try a search in this group for coffe maker repair [coffee pot?] my name and silicone based FDA approved, possibly during 2011.

Reply to
Robert Macy

As others suggest, you can probably find the MSDS on line by Googling MSDS and product name or get it from the manufacturer.

MSDS will not tell you if it approved for food contact, only manufacturer can tell you as there may be components he need not disclose on the MSDS. I write MSDS's myself for small manufacturers and something like a sealant could contain a dozen chemicals and if the manufacturer was considering food contact all of his chemical suppliers would have to approve of the use of their chemical.

If your use is for something to hold water for animals, I would feel safe with the mention of fish tank sealant.

Reply to
Frank

It certainly is.

There is food-grade silicone, I've seen a few tubes in local hardware stores:

And also remember that breast implants are made with a tough outer membrane made from silicone.

Pace maker leads have a jacket material that is made from silicone.

Reply to
Home Guy

Most of that type of tank is made from polyethylene or polypropylene. Adhesives do not still well to them. I'd use your methods of a silicone sealant and bolts.

Silicone is food safe. It is used in all sorts of medical devices, implants, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Doesn't a retail store have to have a copy of the MSDS for each item they sell?

Reply to
HeyBub

Do you know how to use Google?

Reply to
krw

I don't believe so, though there may be one in the back for employees (OSHA).

Reply to
krw

Do you recognize a joke when you see one?

BTW... Googling framis +MSDS returns one hit:

This thread via Google groups. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I suppose I really do need to put smileys everywhere. Lefties are just too literal. No brain.

Reply to
krw