is pex piping close to outside wall a good idea in a cold climate?

Hi. I live in Minneapolis and just bought a new house. On the first cold winter night, no water came out of the upstairs bathroom cold faucet. The pipe, I discovered, is really close to an outside wall. I was wondering if replacing the copper pipe with pex pipe would be a good solution.
thanks a lot,
William

PEX tolerates freezing better, if you home is brand new never lived in see the builder to relocate the line to a warmer area.
if its a new to you home, time to insulate between outside and line

While our cold is no match for yours, I had a similar problem with this house, the upstairs feed pipes run close to the siding and would freeze up every time it got cold. We slid the foam insulation up the pipes from the bottom, & haven't frozen up since.
Shhhh.... he didn't actually ask for a solution.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
William wrote the following:

or any other insulation, it should be between the outside wall and the pipes.That way, it will get the heat from the inside living space rather than the outside air.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Pex will still freeeze but it is less likely to burst. The solutuion is proper insulation.
Jimmie
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:54:08 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

_What about freeze-break resistance?_
"Vanex PEX will stretch slightly to accommodate the expansion of frozen water, then return to its original size when the water thaws. This memory is a feature of cross-linked material, giving it thermo-elastic behavior. Although freeze-break resistant, no pipe is freeze-break proof under all circumstances. Insulation of plumbing pipes as instructed by local codes is still required."

Note, do NOT wrap the insulation all around the pipe, instead place the insulation between the pipe and the cold wall, leaving the pipe exposed to the warm side.
Mark

re "leaving the pipe exposed to the warm side."
Can I cover it with drywall? ;-)
I've heard that Pex can be frozen, and won't split. However, you didn't ask for other ideas. So, I won't offer them.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Is there any way the pipe can be run where it wont freeze, Mine froze luckily I re routed through a closet. You just dont want it to freeze. Where I am now no water is within 3 ft of an exterior wall, a smart design. There is heat tape and foam insulation if you cant re route.

William wrote:

It won't keep it from freezing, but the pex won't break when it does.