Is PEX okay for h/w-radiator heating system?

Page 1 of 2
Can PEX piping be used for a cast iron hot water radiator heating system?
Right now, the system is a combination of original galvanized steel pipes and more recently added copper lines. I am just wondering if when moving the location of a couple of the radiators for a remodel job, can I use PEX to reconnect the radiators at their new locations?

dumb idea, and its not code.

I've seen PEX used to supply hot water to wall heaters in new construction. This obviously passed inspection in Seattle.
O.P. - contact your local inspector for the final word.
Bob

Check with the manufacturer. Some have a temperature limit below what your radiator may be.

Yes, many hybrid hydronic systems are using PEX. they are running at 180F, so no reason you couldn't. I would want to verify the specs on the pex tubing though.
On Nov 7, 11:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Hydronic or floor heat is around 110f not the 185 my boiler gets to, You risk loosing your boiler to a fancy garden hose. But its your house not mine.

Google PEX temperature. http://www.toolbase.org/ToolbaseResources/level4FAQ.aspx?ContentDetailID403&BucketID=1&CategoryID=9
Bob
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 10:25:48 -0500, "BETA-32"

They have valves and elbows for adapting PEX. Check your local code.
http://www.pexsupply.com/CategoryPre.asp?cIDb6&brandid -- Oren
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

And the site did say 140f for saftey, for a reason, plastic has failed. 140f would not get me through a winter without being cold. Boilers can run at 190-200f safely, aquastats go bad. Plastic pipe is is just not safe at high temps for the long term. Also his system pressure must be figured in.

Perhaps you aren't reading the correct portion of the website. The Wisbro/Uphonor and Zurn pex's are rated at 200 degrees and 80 psi.
Pex is approved by code for hydronic radiator systems in many areas.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

I Vanex PEX - 160 psi @ 73F and 100 psi @ 180F.
From the data sheet:*
* Vanex tubing can also be used in "continuously-recirculating" plumbing systems at temperatures of up to 140 F while still maintaining excellent chlorine resistance. For information on the suitability for other hot and cold water applications not listed here, consult with your Vanguard Piping Systems representative.

Clark, I see it as rated for 200f, but the site also says " for saftey and conservation 140F". He can of course do it but it does fail, its plastic. Radiant underfloor heating is around 110f and lower pressure than a 185f boiler. My car is rated 5000 rpm redline, , but for long life it never goes there. Metal is proven, Pex does not have a long track record in years. nobody really knows how Pex will last at high temps and pressure over 50 years++.

Nobody really knew how galvanized or copper would last at high temps and pressures over 50+ years, either. A lot of it didn't, yet we still use it...

te
A couple things: 1)Pex has been used in Europe for over 20 years so the longevity is not in question 2)Where on PexSupply.com does it recommend limiting temperature to 140 F for baseboard heating? I see specific recommendations for pex tubing for baseboard heating but I see no temperature limit recommendation. Maybe my search skills are bad and you could provide a url?
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Sorry. PEX has a history of multiple decades.
My Vanex PEX is ten years old ...not at boiler temps.
ransley wrote:

I don't understand the comment about underfloor heating running at a different pressure. It typically uses 12 PSI just like other hot water heating systems.
PEX has been in use for over 50 years. Cross linked polyethylene is a well proven material.

Since Sputnik ? <g>

Yea Pex is fine , im an idiot, but dont complain if anything goes wrong..............in 80 years, or when you sell your house.................

And your point is what? Post on 80 years.

His point seems to be that he is free to make any claim what-so-ever while failing to providing any factual support. In other words he is free to troll usenet.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here