Is my TV digital?

Page 3 of 3
Just for the record...I called the DTV # today (1-888-DTV-2009) and it only took about 2 minutes to sign up. They inform me it should be in mid February I will receive my converter coupon as soon as the stores have them in stock. So that was a easy transaction. Easy because you don't have to give hardly any info...they already knew who I was, my name, my address,...everything...I just had to confirm by pushing 1. So if you want to go digital on your tv just call the number.
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:02:18 -0600, Christopher snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Chris) wrote:

Isn't that limited to people who have NO TV source other than antenna?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Here is a quote from the official web site: https://www.dtv2009.gov /
.... but supplies are limited. There are 22.25 million coupons available to all U.S. households. Once those coupons have been used, there are an additional 11.25 million coupons available only to households that solely receive their TV broadcasts over-the-air using an antenna. Households with TVs connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service are not eligible for this second batch of coupons. Consumers can apply for coupons until March 31, 2009, or until the funds are exhausted. .....
Kevin

Apparently no one is concerned that the analog VCR's are going to be obsolete also. As I understand it, they will no longer be able to be programmed for multiple OTA channels, but limited to the single channel that the converter box is set to. Correct??

VCR's? Are you worried about your 8-track player and phonograph, too? Time marches on. At some point you have to make at least a minimal effort to keep up, or expect to be left behind.
Red wrote:

Red is correct here. However, converter boxes may be available with timers that change the channel at a predetermined time, as some cable and satellite set-top boxes do. You can get a new VCR (or VCR/DVD combo) with a built-in ATSC tuner, but those won't be eligible for the $40 coupon discount.

Jeez, do some research and figure out what you're talking about!
Red wrote:

Correct, channel 3-4, but hopefully the converter box also has the jacks for the 3-wire RCA component cables. Fancy converter boxes may have a timer with channel chooser. If your TV setup is OTA only, taping stuff on vacation will likely be limited to one channel, if you have a entry-level converter box.
Using a VCR on a satt box is already a pain. They really, really want VCRs and other stand-alone time shifting devices to Go Away, and for everyone to just get used to paying a monthly fee to be able to do what they used to be able to do on their own.
aem (who owns at least 3 vcrs, but hasn't looked in the junk room lately), sends...
On Sat 12 Jan 2008 10:47:38a, Red told us...

exhausted.
I'm not the least bit concerned. I never change the channel on my VCR. My cable box is capable of programming the sequence of channels I want to record and the timing for them. I only need to coordinate the same times on the VCR.
My cable box is already digital. My VCR is a combo VCR/DVD player/recorder.
--
Wayne Boatwright

There's DVD recorders, although they're newer can you can get one with ATSC/QAM tuners.

Yes and no. The converter box could contain a timer. That's what happened with my first cable box. You program the VCR (no channel setting here) AND program the converter with the channel to receive.
There's also the possibility of having one device than can control the other.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I use a VCR mostly for playing tapes and for making copies for people without DVD. Neither use has anything to do with as tuner.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:20:18 -0600, Mark Lloyd

I don't use a VCR for recording these days but the Panasonic I have has a "blaster" that will change cable box channels, just like my RTV
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:36:35 -0600, Christopher snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Chris) wrote:

I suppose you know that law applies ONLY to over-the-air terrestrial broadcasts. It has nothing to do with cable or satellite.

What's digital is the input signal. Does it have a DVI or HDMI input? Those are digital. How about an ATSC tuner (for digital broadcasts by antenna)?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:09:57 -0600, Mark Lloyd

The real question is whether the coupon will work for a decoder with QAM in addition to the ATSC. I bet you anything the cabl;e companies will drop analog like a hot rock as soon as they can. Comcast has already started in some big cities and they tell me it will be all digital in SW Fla by this summer. Of course they are very happy to rent you a box.