Is my TV digital?

Page 1 of 3
Hello all....not sure where to ask this question but I know there are alot of knowledgible people in this group so here goes.
I have a 27" Toshiba flat screen (#27AF44) I bought in 2004, it has a real good picture,. I'm trying to figure out if this televison is digital or not? I've done some research but still not sure. I know it has a 3-line digital comb filter, but not sure that makes it a digital tv?
As we know...in 2009 all tv's must be digital to function with new digital signal in 09. I have the website to order a digital converter box but want to make sure if this Toshiba is digital ready or....it's not? I would call best buy but figure they won't know or I would get run-around, they probably don't carry this model anymore. TIA.
Chris wrote:

If you use cable or satellite, then you will be fine; their set-top-boxes do the convesion already. If you use an antenna to capture over-the-air signals, then and only then do you need to obtain a converter.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Dave Bugg wrote:

Don't forget other TVs you may have on antennas, such as in an RV.
Thanks for the input everyone....Yeah, thats what I thought it might be non-digital. and yes I'm using the free deal with the rabbit ears....I get enough channels that way and prefer to keep it free....the local cable co (cox) just wants too much. Anyway...here's the website for the converter box... DTV Answers : DTV Converter Box Details Address:http://www.dtvanswers.com/dtv_converterbox.html So if I go with their deal it should only cost me like $20 after coupon to keep my Toshiba up and running in the year 2009. But on the bright side they claim you will get more channels with better quality picture. Thanks!
Chris wrote:

Well, you'll probably get a better picture, but I'm not so sure about more channels. According to the mapper on antennaweb.org I can get like a dozen analog stations now with a suitable antenna, but only two are DTV. It's similar at my mothers house where analog reception is greater than DTV, at least according to current maps. I'll see once I get my converter boxes and start testing.
Pete C. wrote:

The antennaweb.org site is rather conservative as to which stations can be received. I'm between two cities using a directional rooftop antenna for one city's analog stations. I found that I could receive all that city's digital stations and a few from the town in the opposite direction. During some stormy weather last week I couldn't get a few stations -- I don't know if the signal doesn't travel as far in bad weather or whether the digital transmitter was down or running at reduced power.
As for more stations, several of the "big" stations have one or more subchannels -- check the station's website.
You can apply for converter coupons at https://www.dtv2009.gov /. Some retailers have announced that they'll have the boxes available for $40.

An alternative site that provides more detailed information for the technically inclined is www.tvfool.com
no it's not. Throw it away. You have to buy a new one for about $5,000.

Ha! Thats an understatement. Antennaweb says I get 0 dtv stations. Fooling around with its inputs, it says I need at least a 500 ft tower to get any.
In reality, I get every dtv station from 3 urban areas with just a rooftop antenna.
Bottom line: If you get any analog stations with any kind of good signal strength, you'll be able to get dtv stations. And let me tell you, the difference in picture quality is astounding.
-dickm

With a little indoor antenna, I get 3 analog channels (only 1 good enough to watch). That same antenna gets 3 (6 including subchannels) digital channels.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Don't forget that one DTV channel can have up to 4 subchannels. Ignoring that gives you an inaccurate count.
Here, I can get 3 DTV channels, each of which has a subchannel, for a total of 6.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Do you have a clickable URL?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
DA had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Is-my-TV-digital-280732-.htm : Chris wrote:

No, it is an analog TV. It needs to have a digital decoder to be a "digital TV" If there was one in this model, the manufacturer would not forget to emphasize that, I'm sure.
If you are a cable TV subscriber, you can forget about 2009 deadline. It is up to the cable TV company. If they decide to go all digital (like Verizon FIOS TV) they will either force you to rent the decoder box for $5/month or maybe (just maybe) give you one for free so you stay with them. Others plan on keeping supporting analog TVs. I believe, Comcast is one of those. The 2009 deadline only applies to the free air TV.
\\//. -------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 266498 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
DA wrote:

Define "free." I say force the FCC commissioners to PERSONALLY pay for every analog TV to be replaced!

DA had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Is-my-TV-digital-280740-.htm : Mike Dobony wrote:

Didn't mean to start a fight. I simply meant "freely propagating through the air" as opposed to "channeled to your home through a cable of some kind for which you have to pay"
As for why the switch, get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak:
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq2
\\//. -------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 266505 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
DA wrote:

Typical artificial government nonsense. Why not open up the other bands to such uses. It also wreaks havoc with all kinds of existing radio equipment, such as w/l microphones. Force all kinds of consumer to buy new equipment even though the old stuff was still in good working condition (thousands of $ to replace some of it) because some idiots who are too stupid to work at McDonalds want to control us. Government is best which governs least.

Actually, there are vouchers available for $40 to pay for a converter. There are, or will be, converters available for that price.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Well, close.
There are a limited number of $40 set top converter box coupons available at http://www.dtv2009.gov two per person limit, and the boxes are expected to be available around March for $50-$70 each. You sign up for the coupons now, and they will be mailed once the boxes are available at retailers. The coupons have to be used in 90 days as well.
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:12:32 -0600, Mike Dobony
[snip]

OK.
[snip]
BTW, you might notice that no TV can be 100% digital and still be watchable. The LIGHT coming from the screen and SOUND coming from the speakers need to be analog, since that's the only thing people's vision and hearing can make sense of.