Is my pool's gunite showing through?

I guess I don't really know the makeup of my pool surface. I have some areas where the plaster has flaked off. The thickness of the flaked plaster is about the thickness of about 6 sheets of paper. Underneath, there is also a white material that is kind of rough. Is that plaster also? Can I patch these flaked areas and if so, with what material and what steps. Also, is it possible to paint the inside of a pool or will the paint just flake off? Thanks, Chris