Is my MTD mower dead?

My parents won a lawn mower over 5 yrs ago which sat in the garage with oil but no gas. We never used it. I tried to start it but there was a lot of resistance when I pulled to cord. It got a little easier after 20 - 30 pulls but I suspect not easy enough. Do you think its toast?

Reply to
Jaa Bob

Probably not just rusted inside. It may run poorly for a few hours But then again rust will ruin everything , motors are meant to be run since you never built up a coating inside who knows. Put in gas and let it idle for an hour

Reply to
m Ransley

Some MTD mowers have a "safety brake" shutoff. If there is a separate loop (hard to describe) at the top of the handle, push it down to the main handle. Then try the pull cord. crude illustration follows.

Mower with safety

pull safety handle to run mower; let go to stop

Remit $47.50 for consultation. ;-)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon