Is my garbage disposal dead?

My garbage disposal had jammed up. I got it free by putting a 1/4" allen wrench in the hole in the bottom and moving it around. Now it's _very_ loose! i.e. the "disk" (or whatever you call it) that should do the grinding is not rotating at all.
Is this something I can fix or do I have to get an entire new disposal? (The unit is rather old - it was already in the house when I moved in almost nine years ago).
Thanks,
Henry
Sears Kenmore had a best buy in Consumer Reports. Just got one for my parents and it is very quiet and cheap.

From your description of the symptoms, I suspect that your attempt to free the jam may have loosened the nut that secures the flywheel/impeller assembly to the motor shaft. The motor still runs, but the flywheel/impeller assembly doesn't. Is this correct?
> Is this something I can fix or do I have to get an entire new

You need to ask yourself... Is it worth the time and money trying to fix it?
Yes, parts are available to repair garbage disposers, but beyond splash guards, stoppers, gaskets and mounting assemblies, things like impeller/flywheel assemblies, shredder rings, etc. will probably have to be ordered directly from the manufacturer, assuming they still stock parts for your particular unit. And, don't be surprised if these parts are more expensive than you expect.

For a disposer that's served you well for 9 years, it doesn't owe you a thing. Plus, if it's at least that old, chances are it doesn't grind waste as well as it should.
One of the best units that Sears sells is on sale right now for $129.88
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid260556000
If this Sears unit lasts you another 9 years, it works out to $14.43 per year.
My suggestion is... Don't waste your time and money trying to fix an old garbage disposer. Just buy a new one. And, unless you're all thumbs, install it yourself. They're not that hard to put in and you'll save yourself a few bucks.

Yes, that's right.

I was hoping that if I got the same brand (Insinkerator) and at least a similar model to what I have right now it would minimize any plumbing work I'd have to do!
Henry
On 17 Apr 2004 06:26:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Look at your problem logically...
You either have to fix the unit...or replace it. Either way, its gotta come out! lol
So...take it out...then see if you can take it apart easily and repair it yourself. If its beyond yer talents...or if you need any parts...pitch it.

Insinkerator used to make the units for Sears...I don't know if they still do. At any rate, take the old unit with you when you go for the replacement...or take any necessary measurements.
A 'similar model' won't be similar anymore...after nearly 10 years.
Good luck.
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com dumped this in on 16 Apr 2004:

I've been a lurker here lately since I have some homeowner issues but I did want to say that if you replace an older garbage disposal, the newer ones are larger than what I used to have. I had to replace an old one, and the sink trap, and some other plumbing had to be almost completely reconfigured to fit the new one. Turned out to be more of a job than I counted on. I still had to call in a plumber when some of the connections weren't tight enough and I didn't feel like messing with it anymore.
--
Cheryl

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in message
Hi,

Make, model#?

The carrier plate you see when you look down inside is loose?

Either the carrier plate has somehow unscrewed loose ( which means removing the entire unit and taking it apart to check ) or the shaft th carrier plate sits on is rusted ( again comes out and apart to check ).

You said it's an Insinkerator. When I last had to replace mine, the old unit was a Sears, and I replaced it with an Insinkerator (made by the same company that made the Sears unit). Both of them attached underneath the sink with a rotating collar, so all I had to do (other than the wiring and attaching to the drain)was unlock the old unit, drop it down, put the new unit in place, and rotate the collar to lock it on. In other words, look for a new disposer that's either the same brand, or at least made by the same manufacturer, as the old one and you'll avoid having to disconnect/reconnect any hardware to the sink itself.
I'd add my personal advice to avoid any cheap disposer that has an aluminum grinding chamber.
Dsorgnzd wrote:

That's right, those Insinkerators are a snap to change. The new ones fit right into the old one's sink drain fitting.
If you haven't been eating your Wheaties lately and find it difficult to hold the replacement unit up in place with one hand while you're turning that locking ring with the other, try placing an automobile sciscors jack under it. That worked great for me.
Good Luck,
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

before you go get a new one, look at the bottom of your old one.If there is a small button(gfci) push it and try your disposal again.