Is My Dehumidifier Dying?

My six years old dehumidifier seems to start working inconsistantly since last winter. I had that dehumidifier in my basement working for six years without any problem. During the winter, it was not doing anything because the air was dry. When spring came, I found that the dehumidifier didn't run to dry the air. I thought the air was dry enough that the dehumidifier would not automatically kick in; therefore, I didn't pay attention to it. But when summer comes, and humidity level in the basement goes up, I find that the dehumidifier still doesn't kick in. Something is wrong with the dehumidifier.
Seem like I can force it to start running by powering it OFF and then ON. It will start running for a while. But not long enough to dry the air. Since then, I notice that it will sometimes automatically kick in. But it is OFF most of the time when it should be ON. I have intentionally set the humidity level of the dehumidifier to quite low (such as 40); but that doesn't trigger the dehumidifier to kick in. Consequently, the humidity level in the basement has gone above 60.
Does this mean that the dehumidifier has reached the end of its life? Is there any "simple fix"?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Jay Chan

But it sounds normal? and some water drips into the tray?

If so, I think the humidistat is broken. Like a thermostat, but measures humidity. Probbly pretty easy to remove and replace. See how much they want for a new one for your model.

Thanks. I will check the price of a replacement thermostat to see if it is reasonably priced.
Jay Chan

Humidistat.
P&M
Make sure you can get the old one out and the new one in before you buy the new one. A lot of place don't, iiac, allow returns on eletric parts and often other parts.
Even then, although this is by far the most logical, conceivably it is a adifferent problem. I had hoped someone else would post.

P.S.
By now I would hope it just unplugs and needs only one or two screws to be removed. 5 minutes the second time you do it. (20 or 30 the first time.)
And some places may agree to a return if you briing it up in advannce. And this isn't the kind of part that one could burn out, if he sees it that way. You only find out by asking.
wrote:

Humidistat.
P&M
Make sure you can get the old one out and the new one in before you buy the new one. A lot of place don't, iiac, allow returns on eletric parts and often other parts.
Even then, although this is by far the most logical, conceivably it is a adifferent problem. I had hoped someone else would post.

I end up spending close to one hour and half to replace the malfunctioning humidistat with a new one. One of the screw refused to come up causing all the delay. And now the dehumidifier works the way it is supposed to be. After several hours of running the dehumidifier, the humidity level showing in a separated humidistat matches the setting in the dehumidifer.
Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate that.
Jay Chan