Is my contractor putting the screws to me?? Question about venting

I recently had a bathroom constructed in my basement. When they installed the bath fan they tied into the existing dryer vent line, which I wasn't exactly thrilled about. They assured me it would be fine. Sure enough, when I ran the dryer, the exhaust went right into the bath fan. The contractor said he thought he had tied the bath fan in far enough down the run that this would not happen. His solution is to use some type of T with a baffle built in to prevent the backflow. Is this really a good idea? Or should I tell him NO DICE !!

IMO, and it is only an opinion, The bath fan should be a completely different run.
If it happens to be a gas dryer I know there is a code violation there.
Colbyt wrote:

It's code violation either way. Even if it weren't, the moisture and lint that gets through the bypass is a deal breaker.
Shouldn't have allowed it to begin with and any reasonably competent remodeler should have known better.

I saw that post. Thanks to the person who took the time to look it up.
I suspected it was a violation but did not know for sure.
Colbyt wrote:

If something similar comes up again, call your city/county/whoever building permitting authority and ask to talk to someone about local codes...never had one refuse to answer such a question.

A big THANK YOU to everyone that posted a reply. I live in Illinois and the scary thing is (at least the way I understand it), you don't have to obtain a license to be a contractor. I guess we are 1 of only 2 states that don't require this.
Anyway, I plan on telling my contractor NO DICE!!
Thanks again !!

My earlier comments notwithstanding, that's a very reasonable thing to do especially in light of the code information posted here. HOWEVER, do think hard about alternatives. The contractor will likely have to address the issue but he may do so in the quickest/cheapest manner possible. It will presumably be code compliant but it still might be very ugly!
If I was in your shoes, I'd try to formulate one or more suggested remedies so that the extra vent is going to be routed in a manner you find acceptable. I have certainly seen situations where it is extremely difficult to route a vent in an unobtrusive manner. Figure out some options before the contractor comes back on site.

How far do the vents run? And what is the alternative?
I think I could live with the baffle approach, especially if the layout makes sense in terms of minimizing the length of the vent runs. Even more so if installing a second vent is likely to be very messy (destructive, visible or whatever). Maybe impossible, in which case, stop whining ;-)
Obviously, this is not ideal but these things always involve a compromise and balancing of multiple variables. You've already had one whoopsie so don't rush into another. Think through all of the alternatives and factors as carefully as you can.

There is no negotiation or compromise on code violations. This setup is blatantly wrong.

I hear reasons for people to mistrust contractors every day this job is one of them. When hiring one ask to see his qualifacations if he is hesitent go on to one who isn't. I do plumbing and some small carpentry but i know my limits and will tell you when hired. This person should learn his. When in doubt hire thru big box as they usauly stand behind there jobs

I agree. If this violates code (and apparently it does) a a licensed contractor absolutely needs to fix it. Of course, the result may not be pretty if it's really difficult to run a new vent.
If the contractor is unlicensed, all bets are off, of course.

Don't be conned into something that isn't right. More than likely it is a code violation. Have a separated ,designated, run for the bathroom vent. "NO DICE" is the proper reaction!! MLD
The 2006 IRC says , and i quote:
M1502.1 General. Dryer exhaust systems shall be independent of all other systems, and shall convey the moisture to the outdoors.
============= I think that's pretty clear.
steve