Is my coax cable bad?

My coax cable from the outside came into the attic and splitted into four ways into different rooms. I have been getting marginal reception in some rooms. Over the years some wiring were done by previous owners some by me and they are different cables and some deadended in walls, so I replaced them all with new RG6 cables and the splitter a new Monster splitter and the reception is dramatically improved.

The only cable I have not yet replaced is the one that comes from outside started at the drop, went underground, then when it gets to the house, it goes into a box mounted on the wall (locked) then another came out from the other end, up the exterior wall under the eave then into the attic. I was trying to replace the connector on the end of this cable with a compression one for RG6, but it wouldn't work, so may be this cable is not RG6. When I stripped it, the metal braid part seem thicker than normal RG6 and there is some sticky gluey fluid on the inside of the wire. I wonder if it is some sort of waterproof sealant in the wire, so I took a small piece of it to HD and see if I can figure out what connector I need. I showed it to the guy at HD to see if he knows what type of cable it is, he says it's RG6 but it needs to be replaced because the sticky fluid is not some sort of water proof sealant but moisture. That the cable is totally bad because of moisture penetration from the weather. I said this section is in the attic over 30 feet from the entry point at the eave this is moisture? He said he is sure and I need to replace the entire cable with underground coax...is this true? I am a little skeptical...

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

have the cable company test the direct burial cable for you, it is described at:

buffalobill

The most common cable used for drops is RG11. In my area the cable company is responsible for the drop from the street to the house. I had mine replaced at no charge just recently. My cable had worn and cracked sheathing that was admitting water. Once the water gets into one part of the cable it will travel inside. You should have the cable replaced.

Reply to
BP

There is flooded cable too, filled with a non conductivew silicone? anyhow that may be what your seeing.

call the cable company and ask them to fix it.

there are a wide variety of cables and conductors, they should fix you up.

have you considered satellite tv? it can save $ and has wonderful features like digital recorders ala TIVO, so you can skip commercials

Reply to
hallerb

I guess that depends on where the cable service terminates. In every case that I've seen, the cable company is responsible for the run from the street to where it enters the house, be that overhead or underground. So, unless the cable comes into the house, then goes back out underground for some strange reason, the exterior portion should be the cable company's problem.

Reply to
trader4

compression

YOU WENT WHERE FOR HELP??????????

MANURE, the dude has not a clue.

That the cable is totally bad because of

Like the others said get the cable company out and have them test and or repair the connections.

The box stores are fine for lumber and concrete, electronics. nope

Reply to
SQLit

"Box Companies" are only as good as the people using them........If you know what your doing you will be able to use the parts/equipment that they sell.

Reply to
flansp78

cable companies today are concerned about losing customers to satellite tv. you can use this to your advantage, if they are reluctant to fix something or are gouging $ just say thats fine I will get a dish.

Once you say that they will be very cooperative:)

Reply to
hallerb

But first, find out if that's where the problem is by connecting a TV directly to it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

A stand-alone PVR will be more versatile than a service-specific one. It will work with satellite, cable, or antenna. Both ReplayTV and TiVo allow transferring shows to your computer (ReplayTV does it better). Service-specific PVRs are unlikely to.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I did exactly that, I told my Ccast guy that I'm switching to Dtv (due to consistent issues they could never resolve) and he replied "I would if I was you." Not the smartest guy in the world but at least he's honest.

Reply to
yohoe