Is it safe to replace a 2500 W oven bake element with a 3000 W element?"

Hi all
my stove is a 1971 Moffat Maitre D, 30 inch, model 30 T 68, (45 years old!) .
When I do my research, I found that Moffat was part of GE. unfortunately, I didn't write down who advised me to buy a Universal UB963 element when I g ave them the model number. I am afraid it is incomplete advice, no mention was made of short prong, long prong. It was the wrong advice I think.
I'll call Reliance to ask about the prong length of that model. I only lear ned after the element was replaced that the wattage info was on the back o f the stove.
Any help would be very much appreciate it.
Thanks a lot.
On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 1:19:51 PM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:

gave them the model number. I am afraid it is incomplete advice, no mentio n was made of short prong, long prong. It was the wrong advice I think.

of the stove.

Unless you somehow know that stove was rated for a 3000W element, which seems very unlikely, the answer is no. The wiring and other components in the stove were rated for 2500W and 3000 can exceed the safe rating for those. Possible issues with wiring to the panel and breaker too.
On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 3:12:21 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

I gave them the model number. I am afraid it is incomplete advice, no ment ion was made of short prong, long prong. It was the wrong advice I think.

ck of the stove.

Can't she just cut 20% off of the 3000W element? ;-)
On 5/24/2016 3:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

No, that would change the resonant frequency and set up harmonics that would keep the neighborhood awake.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 1:19:51 PM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:

gave them the model number. I am afraid it is incomplete advice, no mentio n was made of short prong, long prong. It was the wrong advice I think.

of the stove.
I'm confused. Has the element already been replaced? Did you replace it, th en see the info on the back of the stove and then *not* turn the stove on?
I'm also confused about how the prong length enters into this if the elemen t has already been replaced. Did the new element appear to fit correctly? Do the prongs on the new element match the prongs on the old?

On Tue, 24 May 2016 10:19:47 -0700 (PDT), leza wang

If you're going to take the element out anyhow, it shouldn't be hard to take it out before buying the replacement, and measure and take a picture of the prongs. OTOH, if you buy long prong, you can cut them shorter maybe and then grind or sand off any burrs left by cutting.
Not that I've ever done any of this.

You call this help? I would guess that it's fine, at 240 volts it will still be under 15 amps. Right?

On Tue, 24 May 2016 10:19:47 -0700 (PDT), leza wang

Derby points out that you seem to have already replaced it. This points out another reason I don't like it when there is info in the subject lline that is not in the body of post. It exists outside of context (Is that logically possible?) and so it's importance and relevance to the whole post is unknown. Where would it have fit if ou had put that sentence IN the post, not outside it?
Also, the wattage might be in the back but isn't the model number in the front, behind a door perhaps? From that you should be able to get the wattage of the stove and of each element.
I found on the web that in " Bertazzoni ovens, apparently the baking elements they contain are high in wattage. 2100 watt for the top heating element and 3400 watt for the bottom heating element in each oven cavity." So that causes me to ask what is the rating of the other element. I'd be super surprised if you couldn't make the smaller one as big as the bigger one and not overload anything (in addtion to what I said before.)
On Tue, 24 May 2016 10:19:47 -0700 (PDT), leza wang

A good place to buy flour, although online the cheapest order is $40CN The mill has been in continuous operation for 197 years and half of it still runs from water power. Much of the equipment is over 100 years old. http://www.arvaflourmill.com/?show=history http://www.arvaflourmill.com/store/products.php?product=6-BAGS-OF-FLOUR-Special-