is it safe to continue a 30amp wire from the existing outlet * ( for dryer )

is it safe to continue a 30amp wire from the existing outlet * ( for dryer )
i just moved my dryer/washer to a separate room. So , what I did was puchased a 20 ft. long 30amp wire and ran it from the existing outlet to the new location.
Is it a safe thing to do? or should I run a whole new wire from the panel?
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 04:02:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (failedaircare-man) wrote:

30a Wire means Romex? If the splice was made in a box with a listed device (a wirenut works) and the other requirements are met, you should be OK.
failedaircare-man wrote:

it's a tic for a tac, you goin still need as much wire
failedaircare-man wrote:

If you are talking about an extension cord, I would vote against that. I believe it may be a code violation as well and if so could compromise your home fire insurance.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

oh yeah, codes!
you can use a receptacle to connect two wires, but the extension chord is technically an exposed wire, exposed wiring is a code breaker
he might also consider moving the existing receptacle to the laundry but if he uses the old receptacle line, he would need a junction box to tie into the old wire.
but as would be par for most things... it's probably easier to run a new line like you say, wouldn't want to compromise his insurance..
but far as the dryer goes.. im sure the ext chord is a viable safe solution he could just bury the ext chord with channel conduit
First Class Jerri- Rigging!

Code violation? I don't think so but again I have not keep up with the code for years. 60A, 480V extension cords for welding are common for industrial/shop applications. How about a 10,000A 3-phase drag line at 13.8kV - portable big ass cable for some earth moving equipment or some such.
# Fred # wrote:

All of these examples are portable applications. The OP was asking about using an extension cord for a high current household appliance that is not likely to be moved any appreciable distance after it is placed into service.

It would probably be cheaper to make a longer cord for the dryer with some 10ga hard service cord and a plug than to buy a cord connected receptacle. Also one less connection. They may even make long cords with a molded plug and ring terminals.
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 04:02:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (failedaircare-man) wrote:

Very Safe - providing you did a good connection.
thanks guys!!!!