Is it possible to use a soldered together nipple to mount a tub downspout?

Hi all:

I'm facing a situation where no "standard" nipple will work; either too short or too long. I can make a soldered-together nipple that would be of the right length, but I'm concerned that the act of screwing parts together could end up breaking the soldered joints. So, the question:

"Can you use a soldered custom length nipple to mount a tub downspout?"

If the answer is "no", are there other approaches to this problem? Perhaps an escutcheon plate to take up the space left by a too-long nipple?

Thanks.

Tom Young

Reply to
TomYoung

Use 2 male thread x sweat adapters and the proper length of copper in between. You tighten it to the wall with a wrench then the spout gets tightened via strong hand pressure, you can use a strap wrench to help you thru the last 1/4 turn or so it needed. There is no need to crazy tighten it, it is not a pressure connection.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

Tom...I silver solder copper pipes (like on a hot water heat system) They will not come apart by twisting, the pipe would bend first. WW

Reply to
WW

There's a few places (Home Depot comes to mind) that can make custom pipe lengths. The one near me cuts, threads, etc, to customer spec.

As a HVAC guy, I also own a pipe table, and cutter and threader.

Have a custom pipe length made to your spec.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Agree. HD here in NJ also will cut and thread to whatever length you want. Some HD's tell you to buy a larger nipple and they will cut it down. Others will just use a piece of stock pipe.

However, they have a length limit, which I suspect is going to rule that out. They use an automatic machine and it can't do lengths shorter than maybe a foot or so. That's where having the manual threading tools is an advantage.

Another possibility is 2 shorter nipples together with a coupling that might give the correct length? Final choice would be to braze two brass nipples together. I doubt solder will hold up to the mechanical strength required and it it breaks off inside the wall, you're SOL.

Reply to
trader4

I have seen incredible things done with JB Weld. Just don't put a lot of torque on it. And make sure it's DRY before you put the JB on there, and DON'T MOVE IT FOR 24 HOURS. And make sure you got it straight with some clamping, cause once that JB sets, it's set.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B