Is it possible to shorten a broiler element from an oven?

Is the element a resistive wire covered with a durable insulator?
IOW Can you cut it down, strip back, and reconnect?

Usually once a risistance element has been used it is quite brittle, that might prevent you from success.
BoyntonStu wrote:

The heating element in an electric oven is indeed resistive wire but it is buried in a heat-conducting electric-insulating mineral material and buried inside the metal outer jacket. I believe that the heating wire is welded to the terminals from what I've seen of broken elements. Personally, I don't see any way that one could shorten the element and have it work afterward, at least for any extended period. I certainly wouldn't spend any of _my_ time and money trying.
But what is it you are trying to accomplish? Simply repairing an old or odd oven broiler or are you trying to make something else?
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

I'm thinking of making something out of a new element that would give me the infrared glow at 110 VAC.
Just wondering if any DIYer had tried it.

Why not just get a 120v element out of a hot plate?
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 05:36:35 -0800, BoyntonStu wrote:

Even if you could shorten the wire, you will change resistance and could possibly burn out what's left.
Find a replacement part and settle on being happy with the results.