Is it possible to properly install ice and water shield up a wall without removing siding?

Page 2 of 2

Sorry, I missed that, I just caught Jays message last night.

The membrane should still seal around the siding nail, that's more of a function of the stretchy membrane than the adhesive that holds it to the roof.
Still, I can't picture it being much of an issue on a wall. Most siding nails won't have membrane behind them anyway.
Also, I doubt the siding nails will be driven any closer than 3-4" above the roof deck. If the water gets deep enough to reach those nails, there are probably other issues that need dealth with (ventilation under the roof).

True, but the majority of the membrane should be stuck down to the roof, and the membrane is really just a backup protection anyway. The step flashing is the primary line of defense at the roof/wall intersection. Assuming there's some kind of overhang above that wall, it should limit how much exposure it gets too.

I'm lucky that I only have one small four foot roof/wall intersection above our porch. We have plywood siding, so I simply made that section removable. Remove a few screws and that panel comes off to install flashing or whatever. Then screw the panel back on. Easy peasy. :)

Agreed.
What happens if the existing step-flashing were nailed to the wall? Will they try to cut the existing step flashing rather than remove it and then s lip both ice/water sheild and new step flashing underneath with part of the old stop flashing still there? That's what I'm now afraid they may try t o do, but I will find out when they start the work. Currently they remov ed the shingles and have a tarp over my roof, and the old flashing is still there, and that's why I'm suspecting they nailed the old aluminum flashing to the side wall when it was installed. My job was stopped because they w ere trying to locate matching siding, and when they come back they are goin g to try without removing siding, but only go up 6 inches instead of what I really wanted wish was 12 inches.
On Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 11:19:28 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

l they try to cut the existing step flashing rather than remove it and then slip both ice/water sheild and new step flashing underneath with part of t he old stop flashing still there? That's what I'm now afraid they may try to do, but I will find out when they start the work.
That's another good question which puts doubt on the whole thing. Now that you mention it, I think that was the very problem I had too. I think not only were there siding nails, but the step flashing was also nailed to the wall. Actually, it should not be. It should only be nailed to the roof deck. It ain't going nowhere. And if you do it that way, have a 3/4 - 1" gap where the siding ends, then in the future you might be able to put new step flashing in without removing the siding. Some roofers try to re-use the old step flashing, not a good idea IMO.
Currently they removed the shingles and have a tarp over my roof, and the old flashing is still there, and that's why I'm suspecting they nailed the old aluminum flashing to the side wall when it was installed.
Bingo. Sure sounds that way. And the fact that it's still there, I'd say it's very likely it's going to stay there.
My job was stopped because they were trying to locate matching siding, and when they come back they are going to try without removing siding, but onl y go up 6 inches instead of what I really wanted wish was 12 inches.
Six inches is plenty. Actually 4 is enough. Water should never be above that.

That would certainly complicate things. I can't think of an easy way to remove those nails without removing the siding first.

It is impossible to second guess what their plans are without asking them (or telling them what you WANT to be done).
With only your description to go by, it almost sounds like they are trying to reuse the existing flashing (not recommended). They might be planning on slipping the membrane behind the existing flashing.

6 inches should be plenty, you're not going to have 12 inches of water pooling on the roof (I hope not) to go above that. The step flashing isn't going to be that tall anyway (about 4" if I remember correctly).
As trader_4 mentioned, the best solution would be to remove the lower courses of siding on the wall so the membrane and flashing can be installed correctly. Do it once, do it right.
On 6/19/2015 5:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

I've been down "Goofy Road" with condo boards and roofing! Nightmare of the "recommended, reputable roofing contractor" putting the wrong kind of roofing on mansard roofs to replace concrete tile....the board chose "pretty shingles", not knowing or exploring materials or methods. The end result, after spending $47,000 (eight owners) and extensive rework, was to replace their 40-year roof after 10 years. The city also changed the building code to address the particular shingle/steep roof issue!!
Does anyone know what is presently under the siding or roofing? Drip edge? Gutters cleaned every fall? Attic ventillation? Are you having the entire roof re-roofed, or just "ice damming" correction? If siding has to come off, I'd be talking to the contractor who installed it. I'd also check with city building department. Some manufacturers will send out agents to assess plan or offer expertise; for many thousands of dollars, that would be worth the effort. There are also "certified" (by the mfg.) contractors...is this one? In the case of our condo paint job, the paint co. checked at each step of the job to see that it was done right, with full cooperation of the paint contractor.