Is it possible to disable infra red sensors on a garage door opener ?

I have a Genie unit that is about 3 years old. Is it possible to disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing the door if the beam is broken ?

Cover either the emitter or sensor with black tape.
Yeah, like that would let the door close!
PhotoMan wrote:

Well gee. The system has to get a positive response to "is the sender lighting the receiver". Tape one and the answer is 'no' and the door won't close.
Harry K

The infrared sensors have nothing to do with opening the door in normal use. The sensor for remote door operation is radio controlled.

I suggest you do some reading on the subject. You obviously have no clue as to how these sensors work or even what they are for.
Harry K

What on Earth are you talking about? I don't think you are on the same page as the rest of us dude...
We're talking about the light beam sender and receiver located at the bottom of both sides of the door. If somthing walks in the path of them, they break the beam and the door wont close or stops closing if it's already in motion.
Did you think he was talking about the opener remote control or what?

Um, probably because covering the sensors with tape is just like breaking the beam. DUH
PhotoMan says: Cover either the emitter or sensor with black tape.
George says: Yeah, like that would let the door close!
PhotoMan says:

George says:
Well, let's see Mr Photoman. The OP said, "Is it possible to disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing the door if the beam is broken?" Note the, "prevents the opener from closing the door if the beam is broken." Don't you think that taping the sensor or the emitter with black tape would break the beam? And what happens when the beam is broken? The door won't close.
Derek Atkin wrote:

Imagine yourself in court after a neighbor's kid gets hurt after you deactivated a safety device.
I might also suggest it is useful for other reasons. Without mine, I am sure my bumper would have stopped that door a few times.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Of course it is. Older garage door openers don't even have this safety feature. All you need to do is look at the circuit diagram and take the sensor out of the circuit, i.e, you would just bypass the sensor. But why would you want to?
Derek Atkin wrote:

I don't think you can just 'take it out', it's like a supervised cicuit expecting some sort of signal blocked or unblocked. You can tape the emitter to the receiver for testing purposes.

Sure you can, you just have to have the circuit diagram. But the best suggestion was made by others and that is to move the sensor and the emitter. You could move them way up in the air, but the best way would be to simply detach them from the sides of the door, roll up the wires and put the sensor and the emitter together and tape out of the way on the motor housing.
Tim or Marty Shephard wrote:

If we tell you and there is an accident, we could be sued. No thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Derek Atkin) wrote in

You don't drive on the ceiling do you? Is there any traffic up there that will close the door on the dog?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Derek Atkin) wrote in message

I just mounted both the sensors on the ceiling next to the opener so they point at each other.
snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net (Tony Kimmell) wrote in

Just a note on this whole thread. Anything you do to disable the sensors should be reversable so that you can sell the house in the future. A code violation like this WILL stop a sale until it is corrected.
NJBrad
On 21 Feb 2004 14:40:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Derek Atkin) wrote:

It's easier to defeat than disable. Relocate the sensors so that they are right next to each other somewhere high up where nothing will ever cross them.