Is it possible to disable infra red sensors on a garage door opener ?

I have a Genie unit that is about 3 years old. Is it possible to disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing the door if the beam is broken ?

Reply to
Derek Atkin

Cover either the emitter or sensor with black tape.

Reply to
PhotoMan

Imagine yourself in court after a neighbor's kid gets hurt after you deactivated a safety device.

I might also suggest it is useful for other reasons. Without mine, I am sure my bumper would have stopped that door a few times.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Why wouldn't the door still close Mr. Garage Doorman?

Reply to
PhotoMan

I don't think you can just 'take it out', it's like a supervised cicuit expecting some sort of signal blocked or unblocked. You can tape the emitter to the receiver for testing purposes.

Reply to
Tim or Marty Shephard

If we tell you and there is an accident, we could be sued. No thanks.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Derek Atkin) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

You don't drive on the ceiling do you? Is there any traffic up there that will close the door on the dog?

Reply to
lowspauld

Well gee. The system has to get a positive response to "is the sender lighting the receiver". Tape one and the answer is 'no' and the door won't close.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The infrared sensors have nothing to do with opening the door in normal use. The sensor for remote door operation is radio controlled.

Reply to
PhotoMan

Um, probably because covering the sensors with tape is just like breaking the beam. DUH

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

I just mounted both the sensors on the ceiling next to the opener so they point at each other.

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net (Tony Kimmell) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Just a note on this whole thread. Anything you do to disable the sensors should be reversable so that you can sell the house in the future. A code violation like this WILL stop a sale until it is corrected.

NJBrad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

I suggest you do some reading on the subject. You obviously have no clue as to how these sensors work or even what they are for.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

What on Earth are you talking about? I don't think you are on the same page as the rest of us dude...

We're talking about the light beam sender and receiver located at the bottom of both sides of the door. If somthing walks in the path of them, they break the beam and the door wont close or stops closing if it's already in motion.

Did you think he was talking about the opener remote control or what?

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

PhotoMan says: Cover either the emitter or sensor with black tape.

George says: Yeah, like that would let the door close!

PhotoMan says:

George says:

Well, let's see Mr Photoman. The OP said, "Is it possible to disable the infra red sensors that prevent the opener from closing the door if the beam is broken?" Note the, "prevents the opener from closing the door if the beam is broken." Don't you think that taping the sensor or the emitter with black tape would break the beam? And what happens when the beam is broken? The door won't close.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

It's easier to defeat than disable. Relocate the sensors so that they are right next to each other somewhere high up where nothing will ever cross them.

Reply to
Mark