Is it just me?

I see lots of ads on TV for cordless drills. In almost every case, they are chucked up to a simple #2 Phillips bit. Why is that? Don't they know about all the quick change extensions? I have used just a bit in a pinch, but many times, the chuck runs into the wood or something else. Plus there is no slider to hold the screws until they get started. Do you use an extension or not? I almost always do.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

I do once in a blue moon.

On those few times where I use a Phillips and am not installing drywall, I use a 6" shaft. For Drywall I use a 2" dimpler bit.
99% of the screws, toggles or tapcons that I install are 1/4 hex head and I use a 6" shaft for those also to protect the brackets.
Currently I just chuck them in the chuck. Next drill, if there is one will have a dedicated quick change for 1/4 hex shaft.
--
Colbyt

Why do the watches for sale in magazines always read 10 minutes past ten? Joe G
GROVER wrote:

Because that gives the hands a pleasing symmetrical look, as does 20 minutes after eight.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I thought the 8:20 PM convention came from the time of day that Lincoln was assassinated. Urban legend, maybe.
Zz Yzx wrote:

Plenty of stuff on the subject here:
http://www.snopes.com/business/market/clockhands.asp
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Almost always use an extension. I have a 4" one with a slider, but I'm not crazy about it. Usually just use a 2-3" magnetic one with a smooth shaft. It seems to be better balanced, it hold screws, and it is quick to change out bits. [I'm still using a lot of Philips heads- and think the magnet holds them straighter than the square drive. Makes driving screws in odd places easier.]
Jim
Steve B wrote:

If the advertisement shows an extension, folks will think they're paying for one when they buy the drill.

I will admit that I have used just a bit, but it was when I could not find an extension. And I have screwed up several times when just using a bit, as it seems to make the drill a little jumpy because it is so stubby. Hard to see if the bit is engaged fully or even decently in the head.
I like the sliders, especially when doing long screws, as you can pull out the slider, slip in the long screw, and jam it to get it started, and the tip doesn't run off the head, or the screw doesn't go flying.
It just makes the users of these drills look so inexperienced, and I am surprised at how many of them are on the home improvement channels shows. But if you watch those shows, the people aren't that experienced, and the results aren't that spectacular, and look like they're going to come to pieces quickly. Especially that stuff they build for outside. Don't know about your house, but here, just a few freeze/thaw cycles, and all that particleboard would be back to particles.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

I'm with you there. The only time I don't use a bit holder is when I don't have room to use one.

I was only guessing at a reason they might be absent from advertisements.
I haven't seen a home improvement show in a long, long time. If you know a trade and you see how badly they screw that part up, it's hard to have confidence that anything they're doing is correct.
Steve B wrote:

--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........

I use a quick change holder and appropriate bit. Often, I have one drill with drill bit for the pilot holes or a counterbore, the other with the driver. Rarely use the slider as it is not really needed with a pilot hole and countersink.
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:13:57 -0700, "Steve B"

My Bosch drill has a 'slip' collar on the chuck. If the chuck contacts wood or other material, it just slips. No damage from a turning chuck.
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:13:57 -0700, "Steve B"

They do, but if they put a picture of something they don't include, they will have to label it "serving suggestion" or something.
Hmmm. Do they include the bit?

One of mine did. They are in a clamp right on the drill case. One Phillips, one blade.
Steve B wrote:

--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........

You're confusing marketing with reality.

Which one are you having problems keeping up with?
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:13:57 -0700, "Steve B"

BTW, I've used a screwdriver bit without an extension. It works fine for me. Maybe sometimes it wouldn't, but I only have 4 or 20 screws to do.