Is it harder to drill holes in metal when the metal is cold?

Is it harder to drill holes in metal when the metal is cold?

For some reason I think so.

I have a few holes to drill in 1/8 or 3/64" steel, outside, and it's about 30 degrees most days lately. They are going to be awkward to drill in the first place, so I don't want it to be harder to do, and I can delay it to 70 degree weather.

That's no big deal but now it's more important to me as an academic question.

Reply to
mm

no.

Reply to
chaniarts

No. As you drill, the metal being drilled and the drill bit heat up from friction. In fact, one should use a cutting fluid to both reduce friction and promote cooling.

Sharpen your drills!

nb

Reply to
notbob

And make sure it is not in reverse. A guy at work, Bob, was having trouble drilling a hole so he asked the maintenance guy to sharpen the bit. He did. A few minutes later, Bob comes back and says "you sure screwed can't sharpen a drill bit, it is no better than before" The maintenance guy took the drill from his hand, pulled the trigger, and you can guess the rest.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, B4 asking, why don't you try and tell us?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

There's no electricity outside where the work is. I have to find out when someone will be there and arrange to be there when the door to the electricity is unlocked.

I'm not sure I could tell anyhow. It might seem to take longer if I was cold.

Reply to
mm

That sounds frightening. I fear some would run up my arm and get inside my clothes.

Thanks, and thanks all.

Reply to
mm

Start drilling, it will soon warm up the metal.

Reply to
dadiOH

All sound advice but one more which has always been a rule that I learned is to drill slow.

When drilling wood, any speed is ok but fast is better. When drilling metal, slow is better.

Reply to
SBH

that isn't correct. slow drilling, where the bit spins but doesn't cut, will cause work hardening, and the cutting of the bit stops.

there are tables of recommended speeds for specific metals and specific sized bits.

Reply to
chaniarts

In a word, no. It would have to be approaching red heat to soften noticeably and that would ruin the drill bit.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

It's no harder to drill, but I would suspect that when it gets warm outside the hole you drilled will be a very small fraction larger than the diameter of the drill bit. Thats because metal shrinks in cold and expands in heat. THe thought does come to mind that the drill bit also shrinks, but once it heats up from use, it would be the normal size. The metal on the other hand probably dont heat up except at the spot of the drill bit.

Reply to
jw

I second the suggestion to use a cutting fluid, it makes a world of difference when you have to drill a hole.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I have a 12 or some low voltage one I bought at a yard sale, after he upgraded, but it would never drill all the holes I need. It's very rare I need a cordless anything.

Reply to
mm

Good thoughts, probably true. Small differences in dimension don't matter at all here, but I'll bear your thoughts in mind in the future.

Thanks, and thanks all.

Reply to
mm

And all are slower than drilling in wood. Or bone.

Reply to
HeyBub

? "Jon Danniken" wrote

Spray it with WD-40, it is widely used as a lubricant.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No, unless you are talking about below zero, when everything becomes more brittle. Take it easy, and the friction will heat it up in a couple of seconds. Ever touch a drillbit that has just cut a hole? They get pretty warm. Use a pilot bit to make it easier if you are going to be cutting any holes larger than 1/4".

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend. Download the book.

Steve B

But not as a cutting fluid. It's a lousy cutting fluid.

Reply to
tnom

.....and only used as a lubricant by clueless dolts.

nb

Reply to
notbob