Is it harder to drill holes in metal when the metal is cold?

Page 2 of 3
On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 07:32:54 -0800, Smitty Two

That sounds frightening. I fear some would run up my arm and get inside my clothes.

Thanks, and thanks all.
On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 11:38:46 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I have a 12 or some low voltage one I bought at a yard sale, after he upgraded, but it would never drill all the holes I need. It's very rare I need a cordless anything.
mm wrote:

Start drilling, it will soon warm up the metal.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

All sound advice but one more which has always been a rule that I learned is to drill slow.
When drilling wood, any speed is ok but fast is better. When drilling metal, slow is better.
SBH wrote:

that isn't correct. slow drilling, where the bit spins but doesn't cut, will cause work hardening, and the cutting of the bit stops.
there are tables of recommended speeds for specific metals and specific sized bits.
chaniarts wrote:

And all are slower than drilling in wood. Or bone.

"slide - it must "dig" - particularly on stainless or tool steel

I watch for chips or better yet, spirals. I love to watch guys use high speed and watch the drills get red hot. I just use high speed when drilling wood. Slow and steady and as long as I'm getting chips or spirals, I just let it work.
I also like my Drill Doctor. I used to have about 500 drill bits, about a dozen of them sharp. Now I have two full indexes of sharp bits.
Steve

In a word, no. It would have to be approaching red heat to soften noticeably and that would ruin the drill bit.
Harry K

It's no harder to drill, but I would suspect that when it gets warm outside the hole you drilled will be a very small fraction larger than the diameter of the drill bit. Thats because metal shrinks in cold and expands in heat. THe thought does come to mind that the drill bit also shrinks, but once it heats up from use, it would be the normal size. The metal on the other hand probably dont heat up except at the spot of the drill bit.
On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 14:55:56 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Good thoughts, probably true. Small differences in dimension don't matter at all here, but I'll bear your thoughts in mind in the future.
Thanks, and thanks all.

No, unless you are talking about below zero, when everything becomes more brittle. Take it easy, and the friction will heat it up in a couple of seconds. Ever touch a drillbit that has just cut a hole? They get pretty warm. Use a pilot bit to make it easier if you are going to be cutting any holes larger than 1/4".
Steve
Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend. Download the book. http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
On 2/2/2011 8:52 AM, mm wrote:

I've noticed that I have more bits shatter in cold weather. I have very few drill bits break in warmer weather. If I'm doing serious drilling in any metal other than sheet metal, I use a lubricant called Tap Magic. It's for drilling and thread cutting.
TDD
On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 03:39:49 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for that, and bring some kind of lub with me for this.
I don't have an enormous number of bits, certainly not in the right size, so I'll take them all with me. This weekend it's supposed to be in the 40's and he'll probably be there**, but I just learned I need to buy one more part, maybe today if I find it.
**Not only that, I stopped by to check on the work to be done and indeed he does have an outdoor outlet, just 10 feet away. Maybe it's not connected at the moment, but even if it is, I don't know how to use it after he told me he didn't have one. I vaguely think he'd resent it. And I don't know how to tell him he has one. Same reason.

On 2/4/2011 11:56 AM, mm wrote:

One thing I do recommend when drilling small diameter holes with a hand held drill, is to use the short jobber length bits. You can pick them up at most industrial suppliers in packs of 10 or I believe Harbor Freight has them too. The 1/8 bits are 1-1/2 to 2 inches long and less likely to break in a hand held drill. I use the titanium nitride coated bits, they're gold in color.
TDD
On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 12:53:31 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Good to know. Thanks. I was at HFreight yesterday, but may be there again in two weeks.
I did find the part I need, but the immediate need for the trailer faded today when I didn't bid on the furnace and someone else did with 9 seconds left. I thought he would have to relist it. I don't know if I wanted it or not, but I'm still depressed. :)

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 12:53:31 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Good to know. Thanks. I was at HFreight yesterday, but may be there again in two weeks.
I did find the part I need, but the immediate need for the trailer faded today when I didn't bid on the furnace and someone else did with 9 seconds left. I thought he would have to relist it. I don't know if I wanted it or not, but I'm still depressed. :)

In typed: :: On 2/2/2011 8:52 AM, mm wrote: ::: Is it harder to drill holes in metal when the metal is ::: cold? ::: ::: For some reason I think so. ::: ::: I have a few holes to drill in 1/8 or 3/64" steel, ::: outside, and it's about 30 degrees most days lately. ::: They are going to be awkward to drill in the first place, ::: so I don't want it to be harder to do, and I can delay it ::: to 70 degree weather. ::: ::: That's no big deal but now it's more important to me as ::: an academic question. :: :: I've noticed that I have more bits shatter in cold :: weather. I have very few drill bits break in warmer :: weather. If I'm doing serious drilling in any metal other :: than sheet metal, I use a lubricant called Tap Magic. It's :: for drilling and thread cutting. :: :: TDD
I do the same but if I get caught short, I'll sometimes use kerosene. As long as you're not stupid enough to let the bit get red hot, it'll never ignite on you and if it does it's easy to quench that little bit. Most of the so called drilling "lubricants" are mostly kerosene anyway if you look at the contents.
HTH,
Twayne`
On 2/4/2011 7:57 PM, Twayne wrote:

One of the purposes of a "cutting" lubricant is to cool the cutting tool. The Tap Magic will actually flow toward the action. I got the stuff when I was doing a lot of fabricating out of aluminum and the product eliminated all drilling and tapping problems I was having.
http://www.tapmagic.com /
TDD
On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 20:57:56 -0500, "Twayne"

Does this or the other lubricants work when you're drilling up?