Is it harder to drill holes in metal when the metal is cold?

Page 1 of 3
Is it harder to drill holes in metal when the metal is cold?
For some reason I think so.
I have a few holes to drill in 1/8 or 3/64" steel, outside, and it's about 30 degrees most days lately. They are going to be awkward to drill in the first place, so I don't want it to be harder to do, and I can delay it to 70 degree weather.
That's no big deal but now it's more important to me as an academic question.
mm wrote:

no.

No. As you drill, the metal being drilled and the drill bit heat up from friction. In fact, one should use a cutting fluid to both reduce friction and promote cooling.
Sharpen your drills!
nb
?
wrote:

And make sure it is not in reverse. A guy at work, Bob, was having trouble drilling a hole so he asked the maintenance guy to sharpen the bit. He did. A few minutes later, Bob comes back and says "you sure screwed can't sharpen a drill bit, it is no better than before" The maintenance guy took the drill from his hand, pulled the trigger, and you can guess the rest.

Have to admit; been there, done that, with a new set of bits, felt like a fool. Rene
notbob wrote:

I second the suggestion to use a cutting fluid, it makes a world of difference when you have to drill a hole.
Jon
?

Spray it with WD-40, it is widely used as a lubricant.

But not as a cutting fluid. It's a lousy cutting fluid.

.....and only used as a lubricant by clueless dolts.
nb
On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 20:49:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Except on aluminum, where it works fine. (about the only thing it works well for, other than displacing moisture,in my experiece)
wrote

It makes women scream when used as a personal lubricant.
Steve
::::: ::::: :::: :::: Spray it with WD-40, it is widely used as a lubricant. ::: ::: But not as a cutting fluid. It's a lousy cutting fluid. :: :: It makes women scream when used as a personal lubricant. :: :: Steve
WD-40 is NOT a lubricant! That's an urban myth and totally wrong. Just the opposite, it removes all oil, grease, water, etc. from wherever it's used. Look it up. Using WD-40 without following up with a light oil will only increase the wear rate on the parts it's used on. Look it up. With the parts now dry after using it, it may seem to work freely for a bit, but it'll screw up sooner and you'll spray it again, it'll lock up again, spray it again, etc..
HTH,
Twayne`
?

From their web site; note number 4: http://www.wd40.com/faqs/#a96
What does WD-40 do?WD-40 fulfills five basic functions: 1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material. 2. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits. 3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts. 4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts. 5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.
What does WD-40 contain? While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

Based on what the wd40 page says below, it's a difference of opinion and not a false myth, and calling it a lubricant is not totally wrong (if it is wrong at all.)
I haven't done studies of most things, but when I use it in key locks that don't work well, they are usually good for another 5 or 10 years.

?
wrote

Every situation has a "best" lubricant. WD-40 is not the best in all cases, but it is still a lubricant. Water is a lubricant too.
In :::: wrote ::::: ::::: I second the suggestion to use a cutting fluid, it ::::: makes a world of difference when you have to drill a ::::: hole. ::::: ::::: Jon ::::: ::::: :::: :::: Spray it with WD-40, it is widely used as a lubricant. ::: ::: But not as a cutting fluid. It's a lousy cutting fluid. :: :: It makes women scream when used as a personal lubricant. :: :: Steve
It's a lousy cutting fluid because it is NOT a lubricant! Go to their site and read up.
On 2/2/2011 4:33 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

But being basically kerosene, it doesn't make the best cutting oil.
--
Steve Barker
mm wrote:

Hi, B4 asking, why don't you try and tell us?

There's no electricity outside where the work is. I have to find out when someone will be there and arrange to be there when the door to the electricity is unlocked.
I'm not sure I could tell anyhow. It might seem to take longer if I was cold.

What? No cordless drill???