Is it hard to install DSL yourself?

Page 3 of 3

So easy a kid could do it. Unfortunately they did not include a kid in the package.
<rim shot>
You are the only one to mention this very important point.
Anytime I install something new I first install my last known good image of my system. After using the AT&T CD to do the installation I had so much junk everywhere I couldn't believe it. AT&T, like Micro$oft, wanted my home page, bookmarks and many other settings changed to "their way." It would have taken hours to re-set everything.
Once I found out that their CD was unnecessary (and it didn't even get the settings correct on my router -- that took a call to the help desk.) I went back and installed my last known good image of my system.
G.S.

The software provided by cable and phone companies is never necessary. They don't set up the router, they only provide a ton of horseshit like garbage antivirus products like mcaffee, renaming the browser "Qwest's Internet Explorer", redirecting the home and search pages, etc. They do everything but set up the internet.
Alomost always, the modem is shipped already set up. It'll provide DHCP service so that the PC can automatically ask for params like IP, gateway, DNS, etc. via DHCP. All one has to do is connect PC to modem via an ethernet cable.
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:25:59 -0500, Gordon Shumway

That's one reason for using a router. You don't have to install ANYTHING of theirs on YOUR computer.

Mark Lloyd
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:42:33 -0700, Cheri wrote:

Let a guy friend take care of it while you make him a nice sandwich.
--
Deja Vu: The feeling that somehow, somewhere, you\'ve been kicked in the
head like this before.
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:42:33 -0700, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

Every moron except YOU !!!!! You're just TOO STUPID !!!!
Go look in a mirror and you'll see what I mean..... LEt us know when you say out loud "W O W I ' M S T U P I D !

Oh, oh. Your little class for the challenged obviously let out early today, so "LEt" us go back now and tell our teacher that we are making fun of someone else, and we can't even send a correct post. I am LMAO at you.
Cheri
On Sep 24, 2:42pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

One thing I didn't notice mentioned is many DSL providers are sending a combo unit: modem and router all-in-one (usually wireless router). That can throw a monkey-wrench at you in set-up if you're "not a technical person at all".
Being the unofficial tech-support person for my family and a few colleagues, I get calls at least bi-weekly saying "Such-and-such has gone wrong with my computer; what do I need to do to fix it?" and invariably I end up spending time walking a novice step-by-step through something that monitoring software could fix, or would at least give the ISP's Help Desk access to their computer to fix it by remote.
So much as it galls me to suggest to someone to possibly install junk on their computer (Comcast's monitoring software is particularly stupid), unless you're comfortable enough tackling installation and troubleshooting without having access to Internet resources, I recommend you use the self-installation kit and save yourself some headaches down the road.