Is it hard to install DSL yourself?

Page 2 of 3

..
I generally agree. DSL and cable run neck in neck with cable typically two to three times as fast for downloading and one forth as fast for uploads.
When I first got cable, it took five visits to get it working. The cable guy would arrive, ask what the problem was and I'd say that "you keep leaving the job without getting it working!" Turned out that they had the interference filter on the data side doing a lovely job of keeping the data signal away from the modem. That was around '99 and I was amazed at the 200-300KB download speeds having been using a modem @ 3-4KB/s previously.
Nowadays DSL can do 900-1200KB/s; my cable does 2-3.5MB/s.
I generally go with cable because I use cable tv anyway. If they keep scrambling most of the channels I pay for and preventing me from recording unless I buy their cheesey DVR, I will probably dump them and go to recording digital TV OTA and go with the cheapest high speed internet available, and that will probably be DSL.
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:36:34 -0500, AZ Nomad

DSL "can do" much higher than that. In my area, AT&T offers 1.5MB/s, 3.0MB/s, and 6.0MB/s (we have the latter and get around 5.0MB/s consistently), and I believe there are higher speed offerings in some areas either now or planned in the future. Which tiers are available does depend on how far you are from the DSLAM, which might be in a box down the street or in a central office.
The cable ads that compare their "fast" service against "slow" DSL are misleading when they compare against 1.5MB/s DSL, since in many areas much faster DSL that's comparable in raw speed to cable is available and cheaper than the cable service. Just because DSL offers a lower speed at an even lower price (which is a good tradeoff for many people that cable usually doesn't even offer) doesn't mean that it's always "slow".
It's like going to one gas station that only has premium gas (which you may or may not need), and then complaining that the station across town that has all 3 grades (with their premium cheaper than the first station) is lower octane. .
Not that cable isn't sometimes a better choice for service/speed/cost, but not always.
Josh

Sure you're not confusing Mb/s with MB/s?

Probably.
Is there an "authority" that decides which abbreviation is for which measurement?
megaBITS per second
megaBYTES per second
One is VASTLY different than the other.
I believe all communication/networking throughput is rated in megaBITS per second.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

Take your pick of authorities. The prominent ones are the ISO, IEC, IEEE, EU, and NIST. I'll leave it to you to look all those up, but IEC seems to be the most prominent. They all defer to each other and quote each other in publications.
Here's a link to a Wikipedia article that discusses bitrates: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate
Common measures are: bps, Kbps, Mbps, and Gbps, depending on whether you're talking about serial printers, acoustic modems, hard drive cables, or Ethernet routers. Tbps are not too far away.
To complicate things, there are lots of people who insist that a "K" is 1024 instead of the usual 1000. They have a legitimate point in lots of cases, so the official name for that unit is "kibi" instead of "kilo".
p.s. Don't forget about "baud rates". :-)
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

And "half duplex" / "full duplex", which almost everybody gets wrong.

Mark Lloyd
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 04:15:48 +0000 (UTC), SteveBell

Lower case b is bits. Uppercase B is Bytes. goofy, huh?
1000's are pretty much only used by drive manufacturers to arrive at larger figures.
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:24:53 -0500, AZ Nomad

Why yes, I am; sorry about that. I'd like to say it was a single slip of the shift key, since I design computer chips for a living (integrated graphics controllers, not networking components, fortunately :-), and use *B/s more often than *b/s, but then I did it 3 more times, so it's just a plain old error.
All of the above are Mb/s (Megabits per second). I won't even get into the debate about whether they should be mebibits (Mib) instead. :-)
Josh
<about mixup> Take everything I said, multiply by 8 to get Kb/s and Mb/s. :-p

WTF is a mebabit? (looking it up)... ok, powers of two so as not to be confused with K/M/G/T using powers of ten.
Goofier still.
"Not@home" wrote:

I have both cable and DSL (different locations), and both have pretty much worked just fine after minor installation hassles on the carrier side. The DSL did have one brief outage when a line crew managed to change me to a bad pair, but it was resolved pretty quickly. The cable has had about two sub hour long outages per year after major storms in the area which seems perfectly reasonable to me. The DSL probably has had similar short storm outages, but I don't use it all the time so I've not noticed.
As for speed, yes, for typical use there is little practical difference. This may change though as more full res video content is delivered over the Internet and the difference in the download lead times before the program you ordered is ready to view is noticeable.
Pete C. wrote:

Well, since I had Verizon at my last place and I ended up turning off my phone entirely because they were incapable of making it work on a reliable basis, I would never consider getting DSL unless it were from another provider. I never even had the POTS turned on when I moved.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

some broadband ISPs are now charging by how much data you download per month,with surcharges when you exceed some arbitrary limit.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Cheri wrote:

to connect via wire or wireless, and make sure you have the appropriate hardware to do so. As others have said, you'll need to install the filter(s). That should be easy, assuming your phones are relatively new. But if your phone wiring is ancient, you may need to update parts of it.
Probably the way to go is get the kit, try to make it work, but have a geek friend on call if it doesn't.
I had no trouble installing mine, but when my neighbor tried, she couldn't make it work. She and I spent some time talking to a very pleasant young lady in India before we got our first connection. I'm not sure they're all as good as the one who answered our call.
CJT wrote:

No, unfortunately they aren't. In my experience your odds of getting a competent tech at an India call center is perhaps 10% at best. Not that competent techs don't exist in India, more the competent techs in India mostly don't work support call centers.
Cheri wrote:

If your phones are noisy that is another dimension.
Technology has passed much of the population.
On Sep 24, 1:42pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

-If you can walk upright and tie your own shoes you are qualified. Go for it!
Joe
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:42:33 -0700, Cheri wrote:

Order the kit. Call tech support on a line not connected to where you are hooking up the modem or after installing the modem through provided filter/duplex plug (plugged into the correct, marked outlet).

My question always is...if it's so damned easy, why is there a tech support number for installation problems? I buy things like floor lamps, appliances etc., and not one of them comes with tech support for plugging it in, now that's what I call easy.:-)
Cheri
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:52:52 -0700, Cheri wrote:

Floor lamps don't need you identify yourself before working. You don't really want anyone in tech support to give you a user name and password. You need to pick that out for yourself. The software that comes with your DSL modem is not known for it's safety to your system. Better to do it manually and if you don't know how to do that you should call tech support. It is not all that difficult, but you can run into problems if you don't know what the various settings do. Many times it takes longer to talk to someone than to actually set up your system.
Cheri wrote:

As long as you adhere to two fundamental rules:
1. DO NOT make any use of any CD that comes with the package. It is not needed and will honk up your system beyond recognition. 2. Have a 12-year old male on call.