is it common practice for builders to not seal grout?

I noticed in two different high end condos that the grout in shower stalls are not sealed by the builder. Is this a common practice or just isolated occurrence?
peter wrote:

Common practice in my area . . . but they usually suggest that the homeowner do so.

I had kitchen tile installed today, as it happens. They're coming to do the grout tomorrow. They told us that we are to apply the sealer ourselves after the grout has had a few days to cure. They are providing it. It's apparently a spray.
Greg Guarino