Is it better to install the glass block windows with cement?

We are going to install the glass block windows in the basement ang going through a list of companies three pages long in the phone book..

Is it better when the windows installed with sand and cement without silicon?

What else is important to know?

Thanks,

-Stan

Reply to
Stan

Stan,

What are you asking? Sand and cement 3:1 is a common mortar mix used in masonry. It will work well with glass blocks. Sand contains silicon. When you use the term "silicon" do your refer to one of the many silicon caulking compounds available in hardware stores? I'm not sure if any of these compounds would work well with heavy blocks but I do know that these compounds are expensive. I'd recommend mortar. Your library will have do it yourself books on masonry which may have a chapter on glass blocks.

Good luck, Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

We have to be careful to differentiate between silicon and silicone.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Go to the source: