Is Home Depot shafting shoppers? "Home Depot is a consistent abuser of its customers' time."

How about one of those laser things for installing things nice & level? You could buy one at Home Despot.

I didn't know paint cans had stress...who's going to pay for the therapy? Oh man....just another thing....

[snip]
There are two market forces at work. One is that many a homeowner prefers the convenience of going to one store to find what they need for their household projects as opposed to going to three, four, five different places. Two is a large-scale retailer is often positioned to undercut the prices of smaller, locally-owned stores - e.g., Wal-Mart killing the small businesses across America.
This trend towards fewer employees as a way of saving the company money is nothing new: Macy's was doing in back in the early 1990s when I was a manager there. The belief is the customer doesn't want employee help and the staff is the easiest place to cut overhead costs. I know a salesperson who, when Macy's converted their employees from commission to hourly pay went from making an equivalet of $13/ hour commission to an hourly rate of $8.25/hour. He left pretty quickly, as did most other competent salespeople.
What HD, Macy's and myriad other large retailers fail to understand is many customers will not even notice slightly higher-than-average prices if they get exceptional customer service from well-trained, knowledgable staff. It's what keeps places like Nordstrom and the Men's Warehouse and other clothing retailers in business. And it's what will set apart local hardware stores from the big box places.
Put my vote for the store doing it right.
Their only reason for existence in this world is to turn a profit.
There is little profit in a box store hiring employees to answer dumb consumer questions. Let the consumer hire a professional to train them.
I'm on home depots side in this battle.
On 9 Mar 2007 11:08:37 -0800, "Stephen Blackpool"

Deke wrote:

But what about the extensive spin they do that all of their employees are experts waiting for us to pull into the parking lot?

Heh. Well some people do expect a free consultation with half a dozen different professionals -- architect, plumber, electrician, tiler etc.
I don't expect that from HD or Lowes but I do get mightily pissed when I can't find anyone in the store who can tell me where they've hidden the XYZ widgets. And if I have to wait 15 mins in line at the checkout.

Dumb questions? How about a young person who needs to know how to hang a painting on a masonry wall, and nobody at HD has a clue? These are basic things their employees should know. What's the customer supposed to do? Hire a mason to answer his/her question about the appropriate hardware?

Buy the time-life book over toward the checkout?
On 12 Mar 2007 18:27:40 -0700, "Stephen Blackpool"

I'm sure that there is some happy medium that would maximize profit and long term growth. In other words, keep a few- but not too many.
Good luck with your new boss.
Hint: For all big box stores, Kiosk? with location info need to be installed for the idiot customers who are too lazy to look around for their gadgets.

.....where the handful of screws will be so close in price to HD's that the young person won't even notice. And the project will be done in 1/2 hour, the right way, the first time.
I used to like the Home Depot stores also, but after I started going down to the stores looking for sale items from the weekly flyer and finding that they would have to raincheck or special order almost everything that I was looking for I just started going down to Lowe's with the home depot flyer for a price match because they actually had the items in stock. I expect with the housing slowdown Home Depot will start to feel the pinch and eventually go the route of the old HQ Wearhouse chain. Some people will say no way but when you see them starting to scale back on employees then it won't be long before they start shutting down less productive stores but they won't call it that they will call it consolidation of market area. I'm quite happy with the service I get at my Lowe's store people are always asking me if I need help and assisting me with my purchase. Lowe's seems to have their act togeather by actually providing what you want when you need it. Home Depot just puts out commercials.
allways a topic sure to take up a page or two of furum.... bash home depot.
The man's got class.
http://moneycentral.msn.com/community/message/thread.asp?board=YourMoney&ThreadId "3248&BoardName=Hide&header=SearchOnly&Footer=Show&LinkTarget=_parent&pagestyle=money1&ForumId&BoardsParam=Page%3D322
I'm Frank Blake, the new CEO for The Home Depot. I've read a number of the postings on the MSN message board (unfortunately, there were a lot of them), and we've dispatched a dedicated task force - working directly with me - that is ready and willing to address each and every issue raised on this board. Please give us the chance.
There's no way I can express how sorry I am for all of the stories you shared. I recognize that many of you were loyal and dedicated shoppers of The Home Depot ... and we let you down. That's unacceptable. Customers are our company's lifeblood - and the sole reason we have been able to build such a successful company is because of your support. The only way we're going to continue to be successful is by regaining your trust and confidence ... and we will do that.
We've already taken steps to cure many of the ills discussed on this message board:
* We will be and already are increasing our staffing in the stores.
* We're also in the early stages of launching a nationwide program to recruit and hire skilled master tradespeople to staff our stores so that our customers receive the kind of service and expertise that made The Home Depot great.
* We're investing significantly in the appearance of our stores to make them an easier and more fun place to shop.
* And we're making it clear to all our associates that nothing is more important than you, the customer. Every associate knows that his or her number one job is to make you smile and to help you solve your home improvement problem ... no matter how big or how small.
But the real judge of all of these changes we're making is you. All I ask is that you please give us the opportunity to win you back. When you enter our stores, you should receive a personal greeting. After that, you should encounter a helpful associate who will walk you to find the tools, material or service you need. If you don't, please let us know ... just like Scott Burns did.
I'd like to thank Scott - his column about our company was insightful and revealing. You can easily tell that it struck a nerve with me. Scott, we'll do all in our power to again make The Home Depot the store you and your wife, Carolyn, once referred to as "our store." I'd also like to give my thanks to the many people who posted comments on this board. We want them. We need them ... to enable us to keep getting better. We're committed to being the company that helped set the standard for customer service excellence in home improvement. Please continue to hold us accountable.
Finally, message boards of this type do not allow us to respond directly to each poster, so please give us the chance to fix the many issues discussed on this board by writing to snipped-for-privacy@homedepot.com. You have my personal assurance that every effort will be made to address your concerns.
The Home Depot was built on great customer service, and we will rebuild on that tradition - just give us the chance!

Huh? Saying, "I'm sorry you got screwed, but things are different now! From now on, we will use condoms and KY Jelly!"
They blew it big time, and I hope they go down the tube.
I need stuff, and tomorrow, I'm going to Lowe's. Now I don't even consider Home Depot. Hell, Ace is better than Home Depot, and Ace is getting bad, too.
Steve
Hey Frank.
Stop by for a beer sometime.
I was suggesting that a kiosk(sp?) be installed in every store that lists the parts and where or what aisle and section the part is located.
You should be able to do it once and be essentially the same for every store for 95% of the parts.
And if it works, you could sell a little advertising space on it to pay for it.
Deke
On 15 Mar 2007 20:50:26 -0700, "Stephen Blackpool"

Stephen Blackpool wrote:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/community/message/thread.asp?board=YourMoney&ThreadId "3248&BoardName=Hide&header=SearchOnly&Footer=Show&LinkTarget=_parent&pagestyle=money1&ForumId&BoardsParam=Page%3D322
Mr Blake might want to try listening to his employees - and not just managers. My son worked in a HD in NJ years ago. He and all the regulars saw what was going on and predict the decline. Many also left for Lowes. Perhaps giving every employee a book or two - Like Good to Great might help.
Lou
I tried to watch an electrician bend conduit in a coffee processing plant and he stopped working and commented "If I let you see me bend conduit I'm afraid I'll lose my job to you"!