Is ground cable needed

I am installing a temporary subpanel for a large outdoor christmas light display. I plan on running two hots and a neutral to the subpanel. I know that you do not tie the ground and neutral together in a subpanel like you do in a main panel so my question is Do I need to run a ground from my main panel to my subpanel if I plan on installing a seperate grounding rod for the subpanel?

Yes.
--
Regards,

That must be the 240v "two hots" from a dual (ganged) breaker.

Where is the subpanel being installed?
If it is in a seperate building, with NO conductors (other than the 2xHot and Neutral) connecting the two buildings, no plumbing, no air vents, etc. then no ground line is needed. Do bond the neutral and ground in the subpanel.
Otherwise you must run a ground line, usually #6 or larger and do not bond neutral and ground in the subpanel.
sdb
--
What\'s seen on your screen? http://pcscreenwatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com