is gfci outlet good replacement for two-prong non-grounded outlet ??

Hi,
I own a house built in the 1950's so currently none of the outlets are grounded. idealy/eventually i want to add a grounding rod and rewire the house but until then i was wondering how good of an idea replacing all the 2-prong outlets with GFCIs is ? My understanding is that such a replacement is blessed by the NEC ?
Thanks in advance, Matt
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, a GFCI will work and offer protection without a ground. You don't need to replace all the outlets. Any outlets that are fed downstream from the one with the GFCI are also protected.

GFCIs are subject to nuisance tripping. No way in heck that you want them on refrigerators and stuff like that.
Thanks to all who responded.
wrote:
message