Thank you for the reply but I think I fixed it. I will post what I did
in case others have the same problem.
I took the cover off of the vacuum break/breather (which is made of
plastic but was painted a shiny silver color to look like metal, cheap
bastards) and looked inside. I saw this plastic device that had a
washer on the bottom and four prongs pointing up. After staring at the
this plastic device continuously for four hours the light bulb came
I figured that when the cap was screwed on a little chamber was formed
that channeled the water to flow up towards the cap. At the top of the
chamber, on the inside of the cap, was a hole that was smaller than the
washer on the head of the plastic device. This hole let the water flow
through and out. The plastic device fit in the chamber but was upside
down. I figured the plastic prongs were the feet and the washer was the
head and when the water was turned on the water pressure would push
this device up against the cap forming a seal. I also figure when the
valve was turned off the pressure would drop and the plastic device
would drop, breaking the seal. This would allow air to come in so the
water could drain easily out of the pipe through the faucet.
The thingy was upside down.
So, I turned this plastic device upside down and carefully put the cap
over it so was as centered as possible inside the chamber and screwed
the cap on tight. I turned the water on and no leaks. The real test was
when I squeezed the sprayer on the hose because it used to REALLY leak
when I tried to spray some water from the hose. When I tried it,
everything worked fine! I luckily saved myself some time and money by
not replacing the darn thing, like I was going to.
So, I hope this helps this someone else. The sad part is that someone
of normal intelligence could have figured it out in a fraction of the
time that it took me. %-)