Is everything around $400 these days?

I was quoted $400 to install my oven, cooktop, and dishwasher (4 hours of work).
Then, I was quoted $400 to prune my tree in the front yard which includes hauling away like that matters. I already pay the city in my monthly bill to haul prunings. Since, I have three trees, it's $1000 or more not $400. But, they don't do backyard trees. IOW, I must buy a small gas chain saw anyway.
I have two electric chainsaws but you don't want cords up there. So, a small gas chain saw and a ladder, and up I go on the street side where if it drops I won't hurt anything. I will get help on the house side cause I'm going to need a rope.
For under $400 you could have a decent pole pruner and do it from the ground. I can tell you from experience that; you need to wach out for falling limbs, but you get used to it. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200315833_200315833
Even the manual pole pruner works great. I had quite a number of trees in my back yard that needed constant pruning after 35 years. I could keep them well under control with it. Constant source of fire wood over the years.
I will get a few guys working on it.
Once the tree is under control, I will manually prune it.
I think you have the most control over a manual saw.
professorpaul wrote:

The last time I chimed in on this subject I suggested that a pole pruner can be supported by a harness as used for flagpoles in a parade march. Someone loved the idea.
I already have a pole pruner with a 12 inch electric chain saw.
I will use it!
Eric in North TX wrote:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200315833_200315833

If you use a chainsaw while you are on a ladder, you will probably learn that the hospital emergency room also charges around $400 for a visit!
Chain Saw Injury Statistics... http://www.elvex.com/facts08.htm
Do yourself a favor and buy the below chainsaw safety DVD for $4.99
Stihl Chain Saw Safety, Operation & Maintenance DVD... http://www.stihlusa.com/information/info_lit_video.html
Chainsaw protective clothing... http://www.elvex.com/prod09.htm
I think the best procedure if you're not cutting from the ground is standing on a solid limb above the targeted limb.