Is Energizer trying to kill the rechargeable battery?

Saw these in Target as I hit the fourth and last store in my area trying to score some cheap Duraloops.

Seriously? a 2500 mAh NiMH D cell? So you want me to pay the same price for a 2-pack of fake ass D cells as I would for a GOOD pack of 4 AAs that each have almost the same capacity? Are you HIGH?

But wait, there's more

they come in C cell size too! Oh joy!

I mean, really. It's not that they managed to put out a *bad* cell, to make one this pathetic takes real effort. It's like they're just saying "f*ck you, consumers, we want to sell you our (admittedly excellent) lithium primaries, so we're going to make our rechargeables suck so much dong that if you're dumb enough to actually buy them the taste in your mouth will be literally like kissing your crazy bipolar ex-girlfriend, but without any of the good parts."

And *good* brands like Eneloop, Maha Imedion, and Tenergy Centura are nowhere to be seen on your average store's shelves. (Notable exception: I have seen Tenergy Centuras in C, D, and 9V - but not in AA or AAA - on the shelf at Micro Center.)

Am I alone in being insulted by this?

Reply to
Nate Nagel

[snip]

So did you find them?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Sorta. Out of four stores I managed to get two 4-packs of AAAs. Three of four stores didn't have any at all. In a way I'm happy, because I really needed some AAA cells. Sad because at $3.65/4-pack I would have gone full prepper and gladly cleaned out whatever they had. At that price I could have justified buying a boatload of cells and getting some eBay 3xAA to D and 4xAAA to C cell adapters and finally converting

*everything* over to NiMH.

If you have a Target nearby check 'em out. (you can stop reading now if you already knew what I was talking about.) "Duraloop" is a nickname that came from Candlepowerforums I think for Duracell low self discharge NiMH rechargeable cells that were actually made by Sanyo and are functionally indistinguishable from Eneloops. Apparently Duracell has introduced a new rechargeable cell and so Target is unloading the old stock at a screaming discount. It wasn't advertised, they were still labeled at about $12 but scanning under the price checker revealed that yes they were on sale for $3.65.

Identifying the elusive Duraloop - they will say "Precharged" or "Staycharged" on the package, will be rated at 2000 mAh for the AAs and

800 mAh for the AAAs, will be made in Japan, and most importantly will have a WHITE top on the positive end. There may be black or grey top cells with the exact same part number, but they're not the same and legend has it that they're inferior.

These are the first I've had; Target's regular price on these is higher than I can get real Sanyo Eneloops shipped either from Amazon or on eBay

- if you look around you can probably get them for about $20/8. (actually the eBay seller that I got my last batch from had Eneloops with a more recent production date than Amazon's source.) But I've got the first four running a break-in cycle on my charger now and they've already charged and discharged once, only one cell was under its rated

800 mAh and that not by much, and these were dated 2009 (!) so they sure do seem like they might be the real deal.

I think either Staples or OfficeMax sold Duracell rechargeables too, if I end up driving by one tomorrow I should see if they have a similar closeout, and still have any white-tops...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I order batteries from "

" and they have Eneloop, Panasonic Evolta and Tenergy Centura. They don't have Maha Imedion batteries. I pick up cheep alkaline batteries at Family Dollar but order other types of batteries online because I have trouble walking for miles in gigantic retail stores. I purchase the inexpensive alkaline batteries because I go through a lot of them in test gear on jobs so I can afford to carry several sets for all the gear and not have to worry about rechargeable batteries running out of juice in the middle of a job. I do have NiMh cells in my digital camera with the alkaline cells as backup. We must take pictures of the work and upload them to the corporate website so I gotta have batteries. Me and JH finished up installation of a phone system today and each phone needed a 9 volt battery. Guess which brand of battery the phones got? O_o

I looked up those Maha Imedion batteries on Amazon, Oh my God! Those things are fracking expensive! >_<

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

What, exactly, are you complaining about? That their capacity is low? Perhaps that;s the tradeoff for the selling price? What do all the different batteries cost in $/100mAh ??

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Eneloop AA = 2000 mAh, $10/4, so $0.125 per 100 mAh

Energizer D = 2500 mAh, $12/2, so $0.24 per 100 mAh

but the real insult is that their "D cell" isn't low self discharge and has less capacity than some traditional AAs! In fact I'm pretty sure the Maha Imedion AAs (LSD) are rated at 2400 mAh. So what's going to happen is people are going to buy these either not understanding what the numbers mean or not reading the label and they're going to replace a

15,000 mAh alkaline with a 2500 mAh NiMH (even though there's 8-10K mAh NiMHs available, they're not sold in stores!) and be disappointed in the rechargeables, mutter about damn tree hugging hippies ruining everything, and go back to alkalines.

I'm mad that Energizer would market such a shitty product and one that is so spectacularly unsuited for its intended use. I'm also mad that I've never seen a *good* competing product in stores, save for at Micro Center.

Three Duraloops in one of these would be infinitely preferable (almost as good as a real NiMH D cell, and possibly more convenient), *if* you could buy the adapters in stores...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

And the quality: ============== Thank you for this great question, I would be happy to assist you. Regarding our NIMH Rechargeable batteries and Chargers, all of them are genuine from China.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Energizer. =============== YEs, we share your insultedness.

. Christ> Saw these in Target as I hit the fourth and last store in my area trying

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If it's not intended for YOUR use, don't buy it. I'm quite sure that the marketing department did lots of studies to determine that they could sell more product at that price/product point.

You must have a stroke when you walk down the paper products aisle at the market.

I'm also mad that

Reply to
mike

I've heard the Japan white tops were better.

If you're using AA cells, please consider Powergenix. Only available in AA, and they don't do deep discharge very well. But, they have a higher 1.6 volt full charge. I used them for a while in my mini mag with Teralux bulb module. Also used them in my digital camera. Went back to low discharge NiMH for those. I still use Powergenix in my computer speaker.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My guess, he's insulted that the retail stores don't have good quality batteries for those who wish to purchase good ones.

An email friend of mine has a home made hybrid flashlight lantern. Used a square lantern from Walmart, a LED bulb from online, and four D cells (10 amp hour) and a D cell to lantern adaptor. Got an entire year of use out of one charge.

. Christ>> And *good* brands like Eneloop, Maha Imedion, and Tenergy Centura are

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some people think the cheep alkaline batteries I buy are for the birds but those inexpensive batteries always work for me because I'm cheap. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

No. I don't buy much from the local big-box stores. All they sell is junk.

Amazon Prime and UPS is my best friend here.

Reply to
Mitt Romley

They're still probably cost effective, but I've had several different alkalines leak on me in the past year, I'm done with them!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My strategy is not to leave batteries in gear long enough for them to leak. I keep a zip-lock bag in the equipment case and remove the batteries then put them in the bag when I know I won't use it for a while. I learned this after some expensive meters were damaged by leaking batteries. You did notice "cheep and cheap"? Spell checkers can't do it all, one must use his brain sometimes. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's certainly not new. GE and RadioShaft NiCd 'D' cells were their C's in drag. I don't think the 4AAs would fit your D-size appliance, though.

The more things change the more they stay the same. Perhaps others should read, too.

Buy online. It's not like you buy rechargeables every day.

Probably. If you're that pissed off by common marketing, you must have a very high-stress life.

Reply to
krw

The trick with alkalines is to replace them before they're dead. Cheap alkalines are the way to go but if you're going to leave them installed until they leak, get bunnies or copper ones. They'll replace the widget. ...or so I'm told. I use the $.20 variety from the Borg.

Reply to
krw

The UPS guy must just love delivering sheets of plywood.

Reply to
krw

Damn that is cheap. Thanks for the head's up, I'll check my local Target tomorrow and see if I can get lucky.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

3xAAs definitely will fit in place of *one* D cell, 4xAAs might depending. I've seen adapters for both, I'm not aware of any 4xAA adapters currently on the market but I got a tip off CPF of some 3xAA adapters from a Chinese eBay seller that look promising. I might actually buy some of them... apparently someone already did, I'm just waiting for him to post what he thought of them quality-wise. Same seller sells similar looking 4xAAA to C adapters also. eBay seller is world_electric_fan, like I said I can't give a personal thumbs up yet since I'm waiting for a forum reply before I purchase any myself.

I do! But it would be nice to be able to have the option of picking up an acceptable product in local stores... I actually believe in supporting local businesses, but they make it so hard.

Not really, I mean, I'm already over it, but it really does show how little the marketing department of your average large corporation thinks of the intelligence of the average consumer.

It wouldn't have been a big deal save for the fact that we all know that C and D size NiMHs are pretty rare, I saw them on the rack and was immediately drawn to them out of curiosity, then I read the package and was just depressed and disgusted...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Costco sells Eneloops in AA and AAA bundles, which vary over time. Sometimes they have a charger bundled in, sometimes they don't, occasionally they'll have both with and without a charger.

Most big box stores just sell whatever has the highest margins because they know that most people are not experts in choosing rechargeable batteries. How many people do you think understand the difference between low-self-discharge NiMH cells and regular NiMH cells and why it's not always better to choose the low self-discharge batteries?

I'll often buy from because they are close to me and I can do will-call. They are a Tenergy reseller and carry both the low-self-discharge and regular Tenergy cells, and not just in AA and AAA sizes. I don't think that Sanyo even makes C and D eneloops. The Tenergy low-self-discharge are typically 20% less capacity than their non-low-self-discharge cells.

People are using a lot fewer C & D cells then in the past. LED flashlights use a lot less power than incandescent flashlights so there's less of a need for larger capacity C & D cells.

Reply to
sms