Is Energizer trying to kill the rechargeable battery?

Page 1 of 5
Saw these in Target as I hit the fourth and last store in my area trying to score some cheap Duraloops.
http://www.energizer.com/batteries/rechargeable-batteries/Pages/d.aspx
Seriously? a 2500 mAh NiMH D cell? So you want me to pay the same price for a 2-pack of fake ass D cells as I would for a GOOD pack of 4 AAs that each have almost the same capacity? Are you HIGH?
But wait, there's more
http://www.energizer.com/batteries/rechargeable-batteries/Pages/c.aspx
they come in C cell size too! Oh joy!
I mean, really. It's not that they managed to put out a *bad* cell, to make one this pathetic takes real effort. It's like they're just saying "fuck you, consumers, we want to sell you our (admittedly excellent) lithium primaries, so we're going to make our rechargeables suck so much dong that if you're dumb enough to actually buy them the taste in your mouth will be literally like kissing your crazy bipolar ex-girlfriend, but without any of the good parts."
And *good* brands like Eneloop, Maha Imedion, and Tenergy Centura are nowhere to be seen on your average store's shelves. (Notable exception: I have seen Tenergy Centuras in C, D, and 9V - but not in AA or AAA - on the shelf at Micro Center.)
Am I alone in being insulted by this?
On 08/30/2013 03:27 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

[snip]
So did you find them?
Jon
On 8/30/2013 7:49 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Sorta. Out of four stores I managed to get two 4-packs of AAAs. Three of four stores didn't have any at all. In a way I'm happy, because I really needed some AAA cells. Sad because at $3.65/4-pack I would have gone full prepper and gladly cleaned out whatever they had. At that price I could have justified buying a boatload of cells and getting some eBay 3xAA to D and 4xAAA to C cell adapters and finally converting *everything* over to NiMH.
If you have a Target nearby check 'em out. (you can stop reading now if you already knew what I was talking about.) "Duraloop" is a nickname that came from Candlepowerforums I think for Duracell low self discharge NiMH rechargeable cells that were actually made by Sanyo and are functionally indistinguishable from Eneloops. Apparently Duracell has introduced a new rechargeable cell and so Target is unloading the old stock at a screaming discount. It wasn't advertised, they were still labeled at about $12 but scanning under the price checker revealed that yes they were on sale for $3.65.
Identifying the elusive Duraloop - they will say "Precharged" or "Staycharged" on the package, will be rated at 2000 mAh for the AAs and 800 mAh for the AAAs, will be made in Japan, and most importantly will have a WHITE top on the positive end. There may be black or grey top cells with the exact same part number, but they're not the same and legend has it that they're inferior.
These are the first I've had; Target's regular price on these is higher than I can get real Sanyo Eneloops shipped either from Amazon or on eBay - if you look around you can probably get them for about $20/8. (actually the eBay seller that I got my last batch from had Eneloops with a more recent production date than Amazon's source.) But I've got the first four running a break-in cycle on my charger now and they've already charged and discharged once, only one cell was under its rated 800 mAh and that not by much, and these were dated 2009 (!) so they sure do seem like they might be the real deal.
I think either Staples or OfficeMax sold Duracell rechargeables too, if I end up driving by one tomorrow I should see if they have a similar closeout, and still have any white-tops...
nate
I've heard the Japan white tops were better.
If you're using AA cells, please consider Powergenix. Only available in AA, and they don't do deep discharge very well. But, they have a higher 1.6 volt full charge. I used them for a while in my mini mag with Teralux bulb module. Also used them in my digital camera. Went back to low discharge NiMH for those. I still use Powergenix in my computer speaker.
On 8/30/2013 8:30 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

On 08/30/2013 05:30 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Damn that is cheap. Thanks for the head's up, I'll check my local Target tomorrow and see if I can get lucky.
Jon
On 8/30/2013 5:27 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I order batteries from "http://www.batteryjunction.com /" and they have Eneloop, Panasonic Evolta and Tenergy Centura. They don't have Maha Imedion batteries. I pick up cheep alkaline batteries at Family Dollar but order other types of batteries online because I have trouble walking for miles in gigantic retail stores. I purchase the inexpensive alkaline batteries because I go through a lot of them in test gear on jobs so I can afford to carry several sets for all the gear and not have to worry about rechargeable batteries running out of juice in the middle of a job. I do have NiMh cells in my digital camera with the alkaline cells as backup. We must take pictures of the work and upload them to the corporate website so I gotta have batteries. Me and JH finished up installation of a phone system today and each phone needed a 9 volt battery. Guess which brand of battery the phones got? O_o
I looked up those Maha Imedion batteries on Amazon, Oh my God! Those things are fracking expensive! >_<
TDD

Some people think the cheep alkaline batteries I buy are for the birds but those inexpensive batteries always work for me because I'm cheap. ^_^
TDD

They're still probably cost effective, but I've had several different alkalines leak on me in the past year, I'm done with them!
nate
On 8/31/2013 9:21 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

My strategy is not to leave batteries in gear long enough for them to leak. I keep a zip-lock bag in the equipment case and remove the batteries then put them in the bag when I know I won't use it for a while. I learned this after some expensive meters were damaged by leaking batteries. You did notice "cheep and cheap"? Spell checkers can't do it all, one must use his brain sometimes. ^_^
TDD

The trick with alkalines is to replace them before they're dead. Cheap alkalines are the way to go but if you're going to leave them installed until they leak, get bunnies or copper ones. They'll replace the widget. ...or so I'm told. I use the $.20 variety from the Borg.

Costco sells Eneloops in AA and AAA bundles, which vary over time. Sometimes they have a charger bundled in, sometimes they don't, occasionally they'll have both with and without a charger.
Most big box stores just sell whatever has the highest margins because they know that most people are not experts in choosing rechargeable batteries. How many people do you think understand the difference between low-self-discharge NiMH cells and regular NiMH cells and why it's not always better to choose the low self-discharge batteries?
I'll often buy from <http://www.all-battery.com/ because they are close to me and I can do will-call. They are a Tenergy reseller and carry both the low-self-discharge and regular Tenergy cells, and not just in AA and AAA sizes. I don't think that Sanyo even makes C and D eneloops. The Tenergy low-self-discharge are typically 20% less capacity than their non-low-self-discharge cells.
People are using a lot fewer C & D cells then in the past. LED flashlights use a lot less power than incandescent flashlights so there's less of a need for larger capacity C & D cells.
On 8/31/2013 8:54 PM, sms wrote:

My D cell flashlights converted to LED last so much longer and are often much brighter. I have a D cell Maglite as long as my forearm that will produce a lot of light for a very long time with the LED conversion and doesn't need batteries as often. You can still use it to crack someone's head open without any concern that it will knock out the bulb. ^_^
I do online ordering not because I'm lazy but because it's hard for me to walk around a big box store. I try to go the little places to buy just about anything because I don't have to walk so far but I'm getting stronger and my visiting nurse yells at me for exerting myself. ^_^
TDD
On 8/31/2013 8:54 PM, sms wrote:

I just purchased an Eneloop package at Costco for $23 that included 8 AA batteries, 2 AAA, a couple each C and D adapters, and a charger. After pricing just the batteries locally and online, I went back and bought another package.
Sounds like a wise decision. I'm in the east, we don't have Costco. I did some thing like that with the flashlight packs at BJ's whole sale club in 1998 or so. I used Mini Mag as my daily "everything" light. It was almost cheaper to buy the minimag and three D cell combo pack with first set of alkalines.
On 9/3/2013 11:30 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 12:04:19 -0400, Stormin Mormon
Aside: Costco is also in the East.

If he doesn't live where there is a Costco then he should move.
Hmm. That good, you think? I'd like to be out of PRNY some day after my parents die.
On 9/3/2013 1:08 PM, sms wrote:

That sounds like typical leftist thinking. If he lives in a leftist nanny state (he does) he should move.
If I was a leftist, myself. I'd insist that the gov't make Costco open stores near me.

On 9/3/2013 12:08 PM, sms wrote:

Costco doesn't allow you to park a trailer on their lot. ^_^
TDD