Is Diamon-Fusion worth the price?

I am about to replace a shower door unit. When the installer came out to measure, he recommended that we get the glass treated with something called Diamon-Fusion. He said it would make the glass easier to clean and last longer.
I did a little checking and came up with the links below. The ads claim that treated glass never needs cleaning, is 10 times stronger, won't get dings (mostly for car windshields), etc. I didn't see a claim for getting rid of belly-button lint, but I may have missed that.
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I never heard of it.
I don't know how much this will cost, but if it's this good, I would think that the glass manufacturers would offer something like it themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2MyQTY6saY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GzwbxEuUbg

http://www.diamonfusion.com/en/products/improves.html
Go to Pepboys or any other auto parts store and buy a package of Aquapel. It's a glass treatment for windshields but it also works on shower doors--bonds with the glass. Much better than Rain-X
Retail price is around $12, but you'll probably need two to treat a full shower door.
Or, do an internet search for it. It really is great stuffOn Fri, 14

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:22:16 -0600, Rick-Meister

Do you use it? On your car windshield? On your shower door? How well does it work? How long does it last (in each setting)?
The information I could find online suggested that on car windows, it would last about 6 months on the windshield and a year everywhere else. I couldn't find anything about durability on shower doors.
The other products, Diamon-Fusion and Tekon, both say not to use anything other than water or special cleaning agents they sell. They even recommend using special towels. Does Aquapel have any of these restrictions?
On 11/15/2008 11:24 AM Square Peg spake thus:

Sounds like marketing bullshit to me.

The shower door installer was just here. They offer two products: Diamon-Fusion, which is applied after market, and Tekon, which is applied in the factory. For both of them, we cannot use any of the usual glass cleaners including Windex. He also said we should use special towels.
I checked the Diamon-Fusion website:
http://www.diamonfusion.com /
It claims to make car windshields 10x harder or more resistant to dings. I asked him if uses Diamon-Fusion on his car. He said he does. I then asked him if he goes through car washes. He said yes. I then asked him how the product can tolerate car wash detergents, not to mention wind, sun, highway grit, and windshield wipers, but not Windex? He couldn't answer that questions. He then said that the windshield produict is a different product and costs a lot more. But he had already said that he uses the same product on his car.
I couldn't find anything on the website about not using Windex.
He also said that I can get Tekon on the new shower doors applied at the factory. I check the Tekon website:
http://www.tekon.com/index.php
This is even more confusing and cluttered than the Diamon-Fusion website. They are selling dozens of products.
I didn't get any answers that I felt were credible.
This looks to me like a complicated, somewhat unreliable, and not inexpensive solution to a relatively minor problem.

But... they say: "Save Money!"
Then they say: "Kit includes Glass Luster, Tekon B and Repellent Wash. Necessary accessories included." Only $26.95
But... they say: "Reduce Maintenance by at least 50 percent!"
Then they say: "TekonTM recommends adding Empowered Daily to your purchase for daily hygienic cleanups in bathroom. Just spray and wipe with a Tek Cloth." $10.95
Consumers have certainly done their part keeping "the economy" going by buying obvious crap like this. -----
- gpsman
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/is-diamon-fusion-worth-the-price-342154-.htm
DFI, Inc. wrote:
Square Peg wrote:

Hello,
I am a representative from Diamon-Fusion International. Sorry for the late response, we just learned of this site and the postings here so I hope its ok if I answer some of the what seems like are the most confusing points when comparing coatings.
-Diamon-Fusion is a low-maintenance, not a no-maintenance coating for silica-based surfaces (glass, ceramic, porcelain, tile, granite, and quartz). Using most brand name window cleaners on the market to clean DFI treated glass is harmful because they are acidic and harsh. Diamon-Fusion is easily cleaned with just mild soap and water, so harsh chemicals are never needed. Nothing lasts forever, so claims of it never needs reapplication, top ups, revitalizers, or any mandated products to keep it working need to be very carefully considered.
-Diamon-Fusion is a patented product. In a sea of questionable claims about what products can do, a patent is the rock you can rely on to make sure the technology is real. Our patent number is 6,245,387 check the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website (www.uspto.gov) for more information.
-Diamon-Fusion is typically professionally applied and therefore is not generally available to the public through retail outlets. Weve been working really hard to change that though, so look for our do-it-yourself product in the near future at major home centers! In the meantime, however, we do offer a kit with the D-I-Y, non-patented coating thats lower cost and you can get directly from us, or from authorized applicators in your area. Give us a call toll-free at 888-344-4DFI(334) to find one near you. -Diamon-Fusions major benefit provided for homeowners is through its water repellency; it resists hard water stains, soap scum build up, mold, mildew, bacteria, mineral deposits and leaching, and the coating also helps resist scratches. Additionally, theres an up to twenty percent increase in the brilliance of glass, helping to beautify those surfaces and therefore your home. Independent testing has also proven that Diamon-Fusion helps make glass up to ten times harder to pit, chip, or crack. Its completely optically clear and the coating is guaranteed to never haze, yellow, crack, or peel.
-Diamon-Fusions warranty is very clearly defined: If the basic maintenance instructions have been followed, and the contact angle of your treated architectural glass ever falls below 11-degrees, well honor the warranty. No questions, guesses, or opinions just clear, measurable, and defined. Our basic maintenance is simply this: Never use any harsh or abrasive chemicals or cleaning implements, and do an easy, just wipe-it-down, weekly cleaning which youre likely doing anyway. Other warranties lack definition; how is easy to clean defined? Who is the final arbiter of whether the surfaces are truly easy to clean? If you disagree, how is it measured? Our answers are clear and simple.
-Diamon-Fusion products are easily Revitalized. We support our product and give you tools you can use to make maintenance even easier by having additional products that are uncomplicated to use, inexpensive, and easy to obtain. If you ever do happen to seriously neglect your treated surfaces, theyll help you bring them back to like new condition, should you need to.
Hopefully this response has helped give you more information about our product. Wed love to talk to you about these benefits and others, and invite you to visit our website (www.diamonfusion.com), or better yetgive us a call. Please contact us soon and let us do our best to share with you how to clean less and make your life easier! Thanks to everyone for your input, and we hope to have you as a Diamon-Fusion customer in the near future.