Is Chicago water hard or soft?

Page 3 of 3

you pipes clog shut in 30 years?
you might want to try something thicker than 1/4 tubing.

They can if you have hard water. Which Lake Michigan water is not.
--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that
the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
Bob F wrote:

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/portalContentItemAction.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1582703908.1163202313@@@@&BV_EngineID ccaddjfmgdihkcefecelldffhdfgm.0&contentOIDS6922522&contenTypeName=COC_EDITORIAL&topChannelNamept&blockName=Water%2FI+Want+To&contextpt&channelId=0&programId=0&entityName=Water&deptMainCategoryOID=
Not a word about hardness in there. Daley said "hardly" once, though.
--
"A man\'s country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and
woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."

principle."
OK. Google chacago water hardness.
Second choice is http://www.dpwc.org/faqprint.htm .
Where does our water come from? The DuPage Water Commission's water comes from Lake Michigan, the largest freshwater lake in the United States and the fifth largest lake in the world. The Commission purchases the water from the Chicago Water Department.
How hard is my water and should I use a water softener? Dissolved minerals make water hard; as the amount of minerals in the water increases, the water becomes harder. Two common minerals found dissolved in drinking water are calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate. There is usually much more calcium carbonate than magnesium carbonate present in water; therefore, water hardness is reported as the amount of calcium carbonate (CaCO3) dissolved in the water. There are two units of measurement for hardness commonly used in the United States, grains per gallon and milligrams per liter calcium carbonate (mg/L as CaCO3). The conversion factor is 17.1 mg/L as CaCO3 = 1 grain per gallon. Our water is about 8 grains per gallon or 137 mg/L as CaCO3. Average well water hardness is 55 grains per gallon or 941 mg/L as CaCO3.

I dont know about the water but I heard most of the Chicago man are SOFT !!!!

Soft as a baby's bottom.
--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that
the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
You really can't beat Lake Michigan water... No worries about hard or soft, just use it as is. I haven't had lime build up or icky slimy soft water either.
I don't know of any chicagoans with a water softener. I HATE softened water, makes you feel slimy.
~Renee
Ajanta wrote:

: Please help! I am no tech genius and need to buy a shower-head. When I : went to Consumer Reports, it ranks them according to whether the water : is hard or soft. So, is Chicago water hard or soft? Thanks.
I think the question of if Chicago water is hard or soft depends on how fast you are traveling when you hit the water...
--
John Nelson