Is Chicago water hard or soft?

Page 2 of 3

Todd H. wrote:

Until the early 1990's, DuPage Co. was on wells. You had to shlep those salt blocks for the softner and I still had a funky dry patch on my hand that didn't heal until the Lake water turned on. Most of Will and Kane is still on wells, and who knows how far that toxic plume from Argonne has spread thru the aquafiers. Lake Mickey rules !! Cheese Heads keep your sludge out...JG

And delicious. It's the only water I drink. Cheap, too!

I have city water from Lake Michigan. No water softener and no problems. Water softeners are quite uncommon here.
In contrast to Austin Texas where the water was ridiculously hard and many many people had water softeners.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /

An easy and reliable indicator of the "hardness" of a community's water supply is to simply drive by a local grocery or hardware store. If there are pallets and pallets of softener salt out front, the water is hard.
--
:)
JR

Ajanta wrote:

I went to Sears and they will give you a bottle to bring in a sample of water. They test it right there in front of you for hardness and Ph. They'll ask you some questions about taste, color, and smell of your water. They will then give you some recommendations of what you need, no need to buy though. I got mine tested a little while ago and had a hardness of 22, which is extremely hard. I live near Watertown, NY and have a dug well.

The Sears over by me has 20 year olds working there. I hardly think the kids would be capable of giving me accurate data. They don't even have to type anyhting into a cash register or figure out change.

Why not? Have you seen how the test is done? You can watch as they do it and see the reading yourself. Kids that age are not all dummies. For a few bucks, you can buy own kit.

i don't believe they are dummies I think in general they could give a fuck about customer service. So in general at most large retail stores I try to not have to communicate whatsoever with any employee other than the check out girl.
My eyes went all googly to have seen *rsnyder* write this:

I seem to think that, in general, lake water tends to be much "softer" than wellwater which comes from underground (duh), and most, if not all, of Chicago's water comes from Lake Michigan.
Good recommendation to get a pH tester from any fish store. It's very easy to use and they're pretty accurate. One can also get a chlorine tester, too, if one feels the need to test that as well.
I should think that it's never a bad idea to have some sort water filtration, whether in-line or separate, since Rudy knows what's in anyone's water anymore, regardless of its source.
--
The *Original* Captain Ozone

why?
pathogens? taste? something else?
kenji wrote:

Mold.
--
"A man\'s country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and
woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."

Since you live in Watertown, NY, just wondering if you ever heard of Malone, NY ? Just curious because my dad was raised there and I remember some cold Christmas visits there. I was a product of NYC so Malone was a bit different to me years ago. I wonder what Malone or the like is like nowadays?

Mexicans
<Malone> wrote in message

http://www.maloneny.com / http://www.city-data.com/city/Malone-New-York.html

I did that once. But then I got worried so I had a friend use his urine. We passed.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Not very hard, not soft, its fairly neutral. Soft is out of a softener.

consider it hard.
But who fuck cares. You clean a shower head with a cup of vinegar. It takes like 5 minutes.
why the hell anybody would waste time "testing" the water is beyond me.
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Because it's not about just a shower head, if you have hard water it lowers the life span of hot water heaters, dish washers and washing machines. Also you end up spending more on soap and cleaning products.

Ah, if you have hard water, it's cheaper to install a whole system water softener than to get a new $200 water heater every few decades?
Sorry, my mistake.

It's not just the water heater: hard water builds up scale inside your pipes. After a few decades, they clog up and your entire house needs to be re-plumbed.
So yeah. it's cheaper in the long run to install a water softener.
--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that
the dunces are all in confederacy against him."