Is all current television equipment becoming worthless?

Page 6 of 7
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Wire-line phone company support for rotary phones doesn't keep the government from reaping billions of dollars from re-selling broadcast spectrum licenses.
That's the major driving force for digital TV, it's not about better pictures or consumer demand, it's about squeezing TV into a smaller slice of frequencies so the government can re-sell the huge bandwidth now used for analog TV. Congress is perfectly happy to impose unfunded mandates on communications companies and state/local governments, but this is something that stands in the way of billions of dollars of their own pork!
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Why cant they use other frequencies. There are millions of them in use, and on my police scanner, there are large segments not being used for anything???
I heard on the news that during Katrina they were lacking frequencies for communication which caused many of the problems. Personally, I say thats HOGWASH. The govt just uses that as an excuse for themsleves doing a poor job during that crisis. There are many frequencies on the police band that do nothing. Yet, there are a few channels that are overloaded. There is one locally that has police, sheriff, fire, ambulance, and even some private businesses all on the same channel. Someone is really not allocating them properly.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The date is 2009 for dropping regular TV broadcasts. But old TV's won't become useless, you just purchase a translator box which is suppose to be about $50. There is some talk that the government will even provide coupons for translator boxes for low income families.

In many marginal signal areas,that converter box will still not work,where good old analog NTSC works fine,if with a little noise in the picture. Digital TV is either perfect display or NO display,no inbetween. Analog TV degrades gracefully.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's strictly so they can charge extra for DTMF dialing.
wrote: : > Notice the phone company STILL supports rotary dial phones. : : That's strictly so they can charge extra for DTMF dialing.
In reality, DTMF is cheaper than rotary. To get a rotary detector here now, you'll pay extra; it's no longer necessary for the telcos to decode rotary. When we first got DTMF here it costs "extra" and then all of a sudden the rates went up and DTMF became "free" but you could still use rotary no sweat and then they were able to shut off the rotary detectors in the last few years unless the customer stated a need - forget the exact timeframe but it was after Bill Von Alven retired, the 1-man FCC, and he was replaced with tens of people.
Pop
Walter R. wrote:

So many myths about this:
1) There is not changeover to HDTV, there is a changeover to digital TV.
All HDTV is digital, but not all digital is HD.
There is a mandate that all broadcast stations broadcast digitally by a certain date.
2) There's nothing saying that stations will suddenly shut off their analog tranmissions, only that they turn on the digital tranmission.
3) Standard def DVDs work wonderfully on an HD set.
4) Just because TV antennas start broadcasting digitally doesn't affect your current VHS tapes and existing TVs. If the broadcaster DOES turn off their analog signal, you WILL need a digital receiver hooked to your analog TV.
5) If you're using cable or satellite, none of this matters to you anyway.
"Larry Bud Dec 30, 12:24 pm show options
2) There's nothing saying that stations will suddenly shut off their analog tranmissions, only that they turn on the digital tranmission. "
While I agree with your other points, this one is incorrect. There;s only nothing if you consider Congress to be nothing. The shut off for NTSC has been spelled out for years by legislation passed by Congress. The deadline just keeps getting pushed out. Currently it is set for 2009. They want to shut if off so Congress can sell that portion of the spectrum for an estimated $10Bil.
Larry Bud wrote:

stations must broadcast digital. and there is a date when the stations must stop broadcasting in analog (2009). They have to stop broadcasting in analog because the space will be used for other purposes.

One problem that nobody seems to be concerned about is this scenario.
There is a major problem coming your way. Whatever come through your part of the world. Fire, flood, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, or your favorite disaster. The power goes out in your home. But you know the Emergency Broadcast System will give you the latest life saving information
You grab your old battery operated or hand-held TV and it won't pick anything up.
As you kiss your ass goodbye, be comforted by the words from Washington.
"I am from the Government and I am here to help you!"
Yeah, I wrote to both senators. Big deal.
Charlie (in hurricane country)

If you're too damn stupid to prepare for your local disasters, too damn cheap to by a radio, and and such a bastard that you don't have any friends to bail you out, you're no great loss to the world, anyway.

It's hard to see the satellite weather channel on the radio. If there is a hurricane out there it is nice to see which way the eye wall is going so you know what is going on and which way to expect the wind. In the 5 hurricanes we have had here in the last 2 years I found the TV to be significantly more valuable than the radio.
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:17:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not to mention the fact that 10% of the population has significant hearing loss and relies on TV, not radio, for information. TV has the additional advantage of being able to show captions, unlike radio.
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:17:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I completely agree. During a storm, I wont use the internet weather (If I do have power). I have lost several modems from lightning. If I turn on the radio, they just keep playing their lousy music and commercials, so I haev to wait till the even hour interval when they give the news and weather reports. By then, a tornado has carried my house 300 feet away. Even the weather radios are always pretty useless. They seems to update every 10 to 20 minutes ONLY, and several times during severe storms they are giving weather reports for next week or whatever. They have heard from me about this too...
About the only thing that works is my tv set, and like I said earlier, I have a battery operated one. Besides tv being the most reliable, I can also see the weather maps and oftentimes those tell much more than paragraphs of words.
One of the main reasons they want all that extra bandwith is so more people can have cell phones. Every person talking on a cell phone is using bandwidth. Now imagine how many people are talking all at once! That is a lot of bandwidth required, even with digital cell phones! Now you see why we must convert to digital tv, so every american can have his constitutional right to yak all day long on his/her cell phone. Same with all the kids text messaging while in school instead of studying. And sending picyures over cell phones. And playing online video games over cell phones. As bandwidth is freed up, we will think of more things to do with it.
Now quit moaning and go buy a converter box :-).
Stretch
Walter R. wrote:

Just a nitpick, the govt is mandating a change to digital (DTV) broadcast not HDTV broadcast. All HDTV is DTV but not all DTV is HDTV. Some broadcasters may choose to broadcast in HDTV, but others may choose to broadcast in standard definition and offer multiple channels or use the "extra" bandwidth in other ways.
Brian Attwood wrote:

Which is what they will do the majority of the time. We will end up with mostly standard quality digital and 50 more channels all showing infomercials.
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:33:42 GMT, "Rick Brandt"

Well... most of the time you don't need HDTV. It does make the movies look good though and for those with the equipment... You will get a full theatre experience.
The Tonight Show and the Late Show are currently being broadcast in HDTV. A viewer could get used to this. After you had your first broadband experience, did you want to go back to your old dial-up modem?
Your local news could be broadcast in HDTV if your station is willing to pop for the equipment.
You could experience police chases, live fires and floods in HDTV with 5 channel stereo sound.
If you are just watching old movies, HDTV probably won't enhance your experience.
Just as today's children say "Yuck, a black & white movie... I can't stand to watch that".
The children of the future are going to be saying "Yuck, a low-definition broadcast... I can't stand to watch that."
Beachcomber

Beachcomber wrote:

But (most) movies will be watched from a DVD and DVD is not high-def (right?).
Which brings up some related questions.
When a network broadcasts a movie I assume the network distributes that to the affiliates via a satellite feed. But what medium is being used at the source? Are they simply playing a DVD and uploading that? If so does that mean it won't be HD? Or are they using some sort of tape media that is capable of storing in HD? What media are actually capable of recording and playing back true HD?
Rick Brandt wrote:

I don't know if they all are in HD all the way, but the ones I have seen, have all been true HD not just a resampled standard DVD.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit