Is a Whole house fan an asset?

Page 1 of 2
I have a whole housefan in my ranch home, installed in the center, of the home. It works beautifully, especially in the cool nights of the summer. Its a quality unit, that I installed about 10 years ago. It draws air through the windows of all the rooms, out to the attic, and out to the ridge vents and soffit vents. We don't use it anymore ,due to airconditioning, and problems with outside allergies. Down the road, we will be selling the home. We are debating wether to remove it or keep it. We will be repainting and we are thinking about removing it. Will it make any difference in selling our home?
Thaks for your opinon, Andy

How could it hurt? If the house inspector doesn't like it, you can then remove it.
it wouldn't be any of the inspectors business. (if there even IS an inspection)

says...

Have one in my ranch house - yes it does cut down on A/C costs - depending on the humidity, I can forego the A/C until it gets above 80 to 85 degress outside.
But I was told that it's not good to use with ridge vents and soffit vents. Right now I have end (gable) vents, and soffit vents put in when I replaced the siding (ridge vents await the roof job down the road..). Is that true?
Banty

I don't have a permanent one -- just a massive fan placed near a patio door so that it can blow out the entire out. I live in Phoenix and use it when the mornings are cool and cool the entire house down to 50-60 degrees. In the summer, it goes into storage as there is no time of day when it is below 80.

I doubt they really allow enough air flow
That really is the main consideration. A 30" fan requires TEN square feet of exhaust to function to maximum. When you get to figgering vent space, that's quite a bit. And if the fan gets bigger, then the exhaust area multiplies accordingly.

Are you talking about a whole house fan, or an attic fan?
A whole house fan pulls air in from the house. an attic fan just blows hot air out of the attic.
AZ Nomad wrote:

He said "whole house fan." That's pretty clear. They exhaust through the attic.
The entire thread is about 'whole house fans'. They used to be called attic fans however.

I imagine that if all you had was soffit and ridge vents it would not be good as you probably don't have enough total opening. I have them plus gable vents and it has worked for 27 years now.
To the OP, Yes, IMO, it is an asset and I'd think it a plus if I was the buyer.

Then the next question is - once I get the ridge vents, do I need to close up the gable end vents?
Banty
It can't hurt. Why remove it? Not everyone is addicted to A/C. (believe it or not)

I have them in my house and we use them about half the year but we don't really have a heating season (SW Fla) . The down side is you lose a lot of heat through the louvers when the heat is on. They don't have much of an insulation rating
On Jan 30, 11:25�am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I wouldnt remove it, unless a buyer wants it removed.
you might disable the swich and lay some batt insulation over it to save energy
says...

They make covers for them, though. Or a DIY'er can make covers. Also, I have an on/off switch next to the attic access.
Banty
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

They sell insulated box-shape lids you can drop over them, but you have to get up there twice a year to fuss with it. (Of course, you should have one of those lids over the pull-down staircase as well...)
aem sends...

not start unless the cover is opened.

Just tell the story exactly as you did above. It may actually help sell, as it would cut AC costs during certain seasons. If the people don't like it, they can deal with it, or just not use it.
Steve
"Bumpy" wrote

Andy, if I were buying a home, a unit like that would be a major selling point. We use ceiling fans in most rooms here and it really helps us to not need the AC as much whiich in turn saves money and is 'evironmentally friendly' (something we like).