is a two stud corner allowed in the irc?

i am building a double wall, super insulated house (this is a custom home. this is what the owner wants so don't waste your time telling me it's a dumb idea). since it has double 2x4 walls, i see no reason to add a third stud for a sheetrock nailer on the ouside corners. but it seems i have read that 3 studs in the corner were required by the irc. anyone know if this is true.

yeah, i'll ask my building inspector eventually. finding out this way is funner, though.

Reply to
marson

Well, the way I see it. Double walls. Having two or three studs in the

Reply to
Perry Templeton

I think you mistook "outside" here...w/ drywall, an "outside corner" is the corner into a living space requiring a corner bead as as opposed to an "inside corner" being in a room corner. The finish walls, as you surmise, won't be an exterior wall outside corner, so these aren't/won't be structural, simply nailing support for the sheetrock.

I don't know requirements, but certainly think a 2-stud inside corner would be adequate w/ 16" stud spacing, anyway (and I don't think the double-wall design is necessarily a bad idea at all, depending on the area. May be overkill, but then again, if a homeowner wants a little extra, why not?)

Reply to
dpb

I agree, and I *thought* about an outside corner inside the structure. In that case, two studs would just be nailers or deadwood and hardly worth questioning. But who knows? In the case of double walls, which is the weight bearing and which is deadwood? Perry

Reply to
Perry Templeton