Is a pressurized air object heavier?

Page 4 of 4

Depends on whether the container is airtight or not, and, if airtight, if there's enough air in it to keep the birds alive.

Inertia causes air to move forward, increasing the air pressure in the front of the bus -- thus pushing the balloon backward.

--
Regards,
Inertia causes air to move forward, increasing the air pressure in the front of the bus -- thus pushing the balloon backward.
WRONG.
The balloon moves forward.
I would explain why, but since we all know that Doug is never wrong, there really isn't any point; because Doug will never concede he is wrong.
So, I'll leave it to others to convince him.
"I would explain why, but since we all know that Doug is never wrong, there really isn't any point; because Doug will never concede he is wrong. "
DAMN.
Jeff, why'd ya have to go and change the riddle on me?
Oh well.
Sorry Doug.
I have to go scrape egg now.
Matt wrote:

Well I could have asked which side it moves to when he takes a left turn, (Right of course.)
And, I didn't actually read it as a riddle. I first saw the balloon thing happen many years ago through the back window of a "station wagon" in front of me, and put 2+2 together.
Speaking of math... and limericks...
A dozen. a gross and a score, Plus three times the square root of four, Divided by seven, Plus four times eleven, Equals nine squared plus zero, no more.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
"And, I didn't actually read it as a riddle. I first saw the balloon thing happen many years ago through the back window of a "station wagon" in front of me, and put 2+2 together. "
Ah.... well, it's an old brain teaser, but it usually reads what happens to a helium balloon when the driver _accelerates_.
Jeff Wisnia wrote: <snip>

Howzat? Doesn't the air (not to mention your cup of coffee and cellphone) go forward & to the right when you make a left turn? I'd think that the helium balloon would go to the back & left.
R, Tom Q.
--
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Tom Quackenbush wrote:

See, I just proved that nobody's perfect, not even me.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

<snip>

Aha! Don't think that you're fooling anyone - I knew that that was your intention.
R, Tom Q.
--
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

ROTFLMAO
--
Regards,
Air has weight--Gas law: PV=WRT or W=(PV)/RT Where W= pounds of air, P=pressure, V=volume, R=gas constant, T= temperature. All things being equal, the higher the pressure the more pounds of air is in the tank. MLD

Add gas to an empty cylinder. The cylinder size is still the same, so there is no buoyancy difference in air (or indeed in water). Hence the only difference is yes it contains more mass (atoms), and therefore more weight as measured by a balance.
Compare with a baloon, there is a significan buoyancy difference of an empty baloon compared to a full one, and the net effect will be determined by the relative densities of the air (or gas) inside the baloon compared with the atmospheric gases.
Dean
Yes, your friend is correct, and I guess he's interested in physics... - see my reply elsewhere in the topic.