Is a pressurized air object heavier?

Page 2 of 4

snipped-for-privacy@conversent.net says...

The direction of acceleration. Because it's lighter than the air around it.
--
Keith

On 2 Dec 2006 08:51:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

You noticed that! Very good.
Jeff Wisnia wrote: have mass and are attracted to the Earth

Another question involving "sublimation."
There is only one common substance that transforms directly from a solid to a gas without passing through a liquid phase first. What is it?
(answer below)
A taco.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

There are lots, but snow comes to mind. Dry ice?

Ever barfed one up?
--
Keith

If the box has been closed long enough, the canaries will all be lying on the bottom of the box, dead of suffocation.
--
Regards,
What about a pressurized tank of helium? Heavier full of helium than empty?

Of course not, or the tank would float without the balloon......
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Error.. If the balloon expanded enough so that it displaced enough air that the weight of that air (air does have weight) was greater than the weight of the tank and helium, then it would float.
Think of it this way. The full tank weighs more than an empty tank. If you start filling balloons and tie each one onto the tank, each one will try to lift the tank. As the tank is emptied it gets lighter and there are more balloons trying to lift it. Get enough of the them and the tank will be lifted.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:25:34 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

That's weird...... I guess thats bcause its not compressed any longer, huh?
Now, as if this thread was not already crazy enough, I got to thinking. If a person fills all the tires on their car with helium instead of air, will the car be lighter on the ground and save fuel? (((Just a thought))). Obviously the car would not float because it's too haevy and there is not enough helium. If this worked at all, it would not be a good idea in winter when weight is needed for traction on snow and ice.
Of course if you filled the whole car with helium (after seriously plugging all the leaks), would the car fly? This would not be a good idea though because the driver would be talking like tweety bird on his cell phone before he died a couple minutes later from lack of oxygen..
This just keeps getting more and more interesting !!!! :)
Mark

The car would be lighter by a few ounces or so - the economies of doing this would be too small to be measurable. Helium ain't exactly cheap either.

A few dozen cubic feet of helium won't lift a person, let alone several thousand pounds of car.

Well, he could use a scuba tank, or an external air scoop ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:34:14 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

Ask the guy in the lawn chair with the balloons and the bb-gun. He khnows all about how much helium is needed.
mm wrote:

The Myth Busters did that one and it took hundreds of very large balloons to lift a small child. You man in the lawn chair was proven a myth.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

<snip>
I didn't see that show - what size balloons were they using? The references I've seen to Lawnchair Larry all say that he was using 40 + weather balloons. I don't know what size his balloons were, but it seems like 40 6-8' weather balloons would be plenty to lift an adult male.
http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/walters.asp
Do you think that the FAA didn't really fine Walters or Walsh?
R, Tom Q.
--
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:24:43 GMT, Tom Quackenbush

Wow. I certainly didn't know all these details. Thanks
He spent 110 dollars for the lawn chair. I assume it was made from aluminum. I didn't realize one could spend that much for an aluminum chair, but when you're going to 15,000 feet, it's worth the extra 95 dollars.
I didn't hear about this on the internet, which didn't exist then. I read it in the paper. I'm sorry thinkgs didn't turn out well for Larry. he had more imagination and courage than I do.

Tom Quackenbush wrote:

I don't remember the size, but it was on Pilot #3 episode.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Unless you were driving a monster truck with REALLY big tires it wouldn't change the weight of your car by more than a pound, so it wouldn't really make a difference. Plus the helium would probably leak out of your tires more quickly.

For every cubic meter of air replaced with helium you get a whopping 2 or so pounds of lift. The average car probably has about 2-4 cubic meters of passenger and cargo space so again not a very appreciable gain there. Think about how large the Goodyear blimp needs to be to hold up that little passenger cabin.

seriously
not be a good

tweety bird on

lack of

The car would get lighter by the difference in weight between the car's volume in air and the car's volume in helium. That's not much.
Bob

I forget why, but I have stuck in my head that an order-of-magnitude estimate for the lift of STP helium is around 1 pound per cubic yard, displacement.

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Indirectly yes. When it is contained, but under less pressure it will take up more space, displacing more air and like a boat it will float.

Yea, it likely would be lighter (some uncertainty because I don't recall how helium acts under pressure, if it were to compress sufficiency more than air, it might not be lighter, but I really don't think that is an issue. However it might be a few ounces lighter, not enough to worry about.

Not even if you could create a perfect vacuum (which would be even lighter than helium. The car would still weigh far more than the air it displaces.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

helium than empty?