Is a generator to supply 'almost' all the power worth it?

Page 2 of 2
NotMe wrote:

Right. Ear plugs are cheaper than a noise-suppressed genset.
Add pictures here
✖

Good effect.
Add pictures here
✖
On Friday, August 3, 2012 10:21:02 AM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote:

I suggest something around 4k and then you can pretty much run anything in your house simultaniously except for ac compressors and things that use electric resistive heat.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 21, 2:24 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

RPM isn't the main determinant of fuel usage. Load is. Watch the governor/throttle linkage on a generator, mower, etc as the load changes.
How much more a larger generator uses when running a smaller load vs a smaller generator that is fully loaded has been debated. Evidence was presented that it depends on the generators, type of fuel, etc. It can vary from very little difference to a more substantial one. Best thing to do is look at the specs.

Add pictures here
✖
On 8/21/2012 5:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

the power to your home? like 10kW or 20kW. and if so, which one and how much? Or just stick with a 2kW, or so and time multiplex each operation - a little fridge time, a little heater time, a little well pump time, etc.

because most have to run at a specific rpm to deliver the correct voltage and hertz.

be a consideration also, since the smaller generators such as the Generac and Guardian 6/7KW use a single cylinder engine whereas the larger units all use a 2 cylinder engine with significant differences in the choice of materials for the block, the head, the carbs, the type and location of valves, etc.
Finding the actual reliability data (like MTBF, MTTR, failure modes, etc.) is a tricky business, but at least one web site I am aware of which specializes in Generac repairs has quite a bit of anecdotal information. It is worth reading it carefully if you happen to chose Generac or Guardian brand equipment and want to know which models seem to survive with the least amount of hassles and problems.
It has been extremely helpful to me as I have been advising and helping others making purchase and installation decisions over the last 5 years. The forum is heavily frequented by very knowledgeable people, and also contains a dealer rating service for those who want to leave the installation to "experts".
Here is the link: http://zillerstore.com/forums/index.php
Hope this helps you and others,
Smarty

Add pictures here
✖
Robert Macy wrote:

Here's another thought: If there is no emergency, an itty-bitty 900 watt generator and a 210kw whole-neighborhood one use exactly the same resources. They only differ in how much they cost.
Add pictures here
✖