Is A/C capacitor supposed to look like this?

Page 3 of 4

Steve wrote:

Dammit...Stop that. We aren't done playing with him yet.

brassplyer wrote:

Thats the countdown to self destruct. No Joke....
Replaced both the fan cap and compressor cap and it's runnin' like a champ now. The guy at the parts place put a meter on them and said the fan cap was on its way out and the compressor cap was kaput. The shape on the compressor cap is different - this one is oval, the old one was cylindrical about like an old car coil. However the ratings are the same and it appears to work.
Apparently it doesn't matter which side the connectors get attached to? I.e. there's not a "pos" and "neg"? It seems to be running fine.
One thing that makes me curious - I noticed that even with both the breaker for the A/C compressor on the main panel and the exterior breaker at the compressor turned off, when I turned on the air handler, the compressor relay switch still activated. I thought if the breakers are off, it interrupted the circuit to the compressor and nothing should get to any part of the unit?
Thanks again.
brassplyer wrote:

Looks like that is near Chicago.. Heavy Union country. Be interesting to know who is superceding the service companies over there.
On Tue, 4 May 2010 15:26:04 -0700 (PDT), brassplyer

The relay is powered from the air handler via that skinny cable taped to the line set.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

TAPE?! Only slackers use tape, real techs use cable ties. 8-)
TDD
That's the kind of ignorance that gets people hurt. "but I thought...."
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Well, what doesn't kill us makes us more knowledgeable. I did know enough to turn off all breakers including the one to the air handler before monkeying with the outside unit so I wasn't in any danger.
Next I need to clean the internal coils. Just looked at 'em, they're nasty. Obviously with as much suction as I'm getting plenty of air is getting through but they definitely need cleaning.
Will you be using a belt sander to clean the inside coils? That's what professional idiots use. 60 grit open kote red garnet is good.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Heck no, gonna fire up my trusty air chisel to really get those tough deposits. If you're gonna do something, do it right I say.
On May 4, 8:07pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Glad you got it running again. The run caps are usually cheap enough that, even if you are not able to test, replacing them is worth a shot. All you care about are the specs on it. Any shape will do. Occasionally you have to fiddle around with the bracket to get it bolted back to the chassis. Nice you found a supply house that was helpful even though I suspect it was easy to tell you are a homeowner. The hvac trade is extremely anti-diy.
You missed the breaker that the 24v transformer for the thermostat is on. The air handler starts the outside unit with a 24v ac supply to that contactor, aka relay. Unlike electrolytic capacitors these capacitors are not polarized so there are no positive or negative terminals. This is an ac circuit not dc. That board with the flashing led is the defrost board. It's not involved in the operation when you are using the unit in the cooling mode. Steady flashing usually means it is ok. When there is something wrong it will flash a signal where you can use the number of flashes to look up different problems. There should be a couple pages of spec sheets in an envelope inside the uinit and the flash code is often on those.
A few units will have a pressure switch that prevents the compressor from starting up if the unit has lost the refrigerant. Don't know if this one does or not, it's not all that common.

As the other poster said, the contactor is powered by the 24V from the air handler inside your house. So even if you turned off the 240V, you would still here the relay click.
Congrats on fixing the unit yourself despite the sarcastic remarks some of these idiots made.
I'm a professional idiot. Sarcastic comments are included in my job description.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Its about time you were honest about yourself.
The King wrote:

It would really be nice if you deleted the bullshit groups and stayed with alt.hvac.

Do as i say not as i do is your moto isnt it. Fuck off.
The King wrote:

Gee, that really hurt my feelings. Piss me off and I will turn the Mormon loose on you.
At your service, O great one. May you live forever.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Don't encourage the incorrigible, he thrives on it. He might run a background check on you. ROTFLMAO
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Apparently that makes you nervous. Something to hide, Dufas?