IRS Audit..!

Page 2 of 2

One of the problems I'm having is the timing. All the tax people are too busy to take this on now.
Can I file an amended return while this is going on? If so I will, as I've found almost as much good I can do as I have errors I can correct.
She sent me a copy of my return. I could not find mine to even see what she was addressing. Now that I see it I see some are just plain data entry errors, while others are explainable.
********************************** AFAIK, you can still file an amended return. Rather than go to their office, correspond with them and it may turn out to be a simple mail audit. If they accept the amended return you are done.
You can also explain that you need professional help and it will not be available until after April 15. In spite of the horror stories you hear, they can be reasonable if you are also. Keep in mind, they have a job to do and a boss to please so they may want to "win" something.
Add pictures here
✖

NOT TRUE. The first thing a tax guy will do is contact the auditor and move the date into May or June.
Dick
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 6, 8:23 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (N O) wrote:

re: Now I'll have to pay for this
So you've already assumed you've lost? Hmmm...did we do something wrong and finally get caught?
re: AND come up with the money for 07 soon.
So you haven't been paying your 07 taxes all along?
re: I don't keep very good records.
Snicker snicker...Good Luck!
re: We all know how corrupt the system is
What system is that?
re: including the IRS.
Make sure you bring that up at your meeting. That oughta get you some good-will points.
Add pictures here
✖
N O wrote:

Many will tell you to get the services of a CPA, enrolled agent, or attorney.
I vote for TAX attorney. Find their national organization and contact a local member.
The advantage for using an attorney is that whatever you tell them is priviliged.
In our case, I send a backup of our Quickbooks file to the attorney and back comes our corporate returns (federal and state) signed by someone the IRS doesn't really want to screw with.
Add pictures here
✖
There are hundreds of millions of dollars unaccounted for in Iraq. And the IRS is looking for chump change on my street..?
If you buy stamps for your business and you use one for a piece of personal mail, you are in violation of IRS rules... So, who hasn't run afoul of IRS rules .. Yea. I have a home office. But it is legit and have had one for over a decade.
And if you're busy making good money, you often don't have time to keep good records...uh ...that is until you get hit over the head like this and realize it's cheaper to keep 'em... I think I'm getting a lawyer. Thanks for all the supportive comments...
"Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?" -Groucho Marx
Add pictures here
✖
N O wrote:

Not a tax or IRS problem

It sounds like they're looking for tax irregularities.

Actually, you are allowed to use business supplies for personal use as long as you deduct the portion used for personal expenses from the business expenses on schedule K.

Purposefully or accidentally?

Then you should have no problem meeting the IRS definition of legitimate use. I haven't had a problem doing the same.

Baloney. I make exceptionally good money working 12 to 16 hour days and I keep great records.

Organized records and accounting books are a real key to the success of any business. Even if the IRS wasn't around, I'd be doing it anyway.

At this point, it would be a great idea.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
N O wrote:

You can't build a house without making sawdust. Besides, it's not the Internal EXPENDITURE Service that has questions of you.

No, you are not. IRS regulations are governed, in part, by the 'de minimus' rule.

"Legit" is in the eye of the beholder. It may not be according to IRS regulations.

You might just go ahead and let the IRS figure your tax. After all the upheaval, you may get a "Notice of Deficiency" of only $38.42.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:23:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (N O) wrote:

Gather everything you have and anything you think will help. You have the right to remain silent so I wouldn't "find" anything that hurts. The last time I got audited I ended up getting $1600 from them because I did the due dilligence before the audit that I should have done before the return in collecting and collating all of my documents. The agent pointed out to me things I could deduct (more accusing than helping) but once we decided they were valid I made money on the deal. Some shortcuts I took to make my return simpler actually cost me money. If you are reasonable they will be ... at least my guy was.
Add pictures here
✖
The place to have asked this question is the tax newsgroup, misc.taxes.moderated.
The best answer I can give you is "NEVER attend an IRS audit unless there is an order requiring your attendance. Give a CPA, an EA (enrolled agent), or a Tax Attorney your power of attotney (there is a specific form for that) and the IRS is not allowed to deal with you directly."
Better put - don't get into a tiger cage unless you know how to fight off a tiger.
Dick -- Richard D. Adams, CPA (retired) Moderator - misc.taxes.moderated
Add pictures here
✖

That's a keeper! I shall remember that one, for ever!
✖
"N O" wrote in message

I would imagine that if you intended to file your taxes correctly, but just did not know about all the rules at the time, then I suppose that would be quite a common thing. Probably will be just a learning experience. Might as well bite the bullet and learn how you need to do these things in the future.
But if you tried to cheat, then that is another matter.
I help my friends with their taxes. It is quite obvious to me if they are doing something wrong because they do not understand these things as opposed to someone who is intentionally trying to cheat.
Add pictures here
✖