Iron water pipe question

Page 2 of 2
Well the durn meter is about 2 feet the other side of the sidewalk, then another 2 feet is the street curb, and about a foot from a large tree. An access hole is probably not possible. I will however see what's going on in the meter well, and see about snaking poly down through there. Pulling it with the old iron pipe sounds like a viable solution if it can get it disconnected from the meter and get something attached to it. Thanks to all who have had input here, it's given me inspiration to do it all the way.
--
Steve Barker

"sylvan butler" <ZsdbUse1+noZs snipped-for-privacy@Zbigfoot.Zcom.invalid> wrote in message
On Jul 24, 9:23 am, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

<snip>
Au contraire. He can go down to the plumber and ask for a "Dressler coupling". Made specifically for that purpose. It is a compression fitting and is a common item. Also used to splice galv pipe when there is no room to insert threaded fittings. They are also made for PVC/CPVC pipe but I don't trust them there due to the pipe deforming over time.
Best is to inspect the pipe condition and if it is at all corroded, replace all the way.
Harry K
Steve Barker wrote:

Long distance may make this a good candidate for trenchless pulling a new service in.
An experienced firm will dig an access hole at the curb and then thread a pulling cable thru the exisitong pipe. Then attach the new pipe (could be copper or plastic) and pull out the old galv at the same time pulling the new one in behind.
It may be moot at this point, but there *are* mechanical compression couplings made for the express purpose of joining to galv iron pipe.
Jim

I wouldn't place any bets that they can get a pulling cable through the existing galv pipe. Once they get crudded up there ain't no room. Maybe they could use the pipe itself as the "pull". It might be worth a try.
--
Chris Lewis,

You have gotten a lot of very good advice about replacing the pipe. However, there is a threadless union for iron pipe which uses a threaded galvanized body, two rubber compression seals and two threaded nuts to tighten the seals. Its sorta like a compression union used for copper tubing. Installed one underground on the water main at my son's house about 15 years ago and its still in service.
Don Young

You already know the answer. There is no simple way to correct this and even if you do, it will cost even more later to replace the pipe.

There certainly is a simple way. It is a "Dressler Coupling".
http://www.mclendons.com/catalog.asp?NAV=7&cat=Plumbing&subcat1=Pipe+%26+Fittings+-+Iron
Replacing the pipe is the best solution though.
Harry K

FWIW - utilities pay companies to tunnel under driveways and sidewalks all the time.

Just yesterday I saw the gas company pull a line for a house where the feed was on the opposite side of the street. They dig a hole on both ends to the depth then put this large diameter pipe thingy with a piston in it. Connects to a commercial tow behind compressor like for jackhammers. It piledrives itself through and pulls two flexible hoses (gas and tracer line). Did same thing to go through the yard. Went within 6" of a tree. Guy said no problem. It just pushes even big roots aside or busts them.
Foreman says "Cool huh?!