Iron water pipe question

And this is one of the tools I mentioned at the beginning of this:

In applications where the service lateral length is long or deep or passes under obstructions, you can not beat the savings over brute force ditching.

If this job meets some of those criteria, call around for a contractor who does this work.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You have gotten a lot of very good advice about replacing the pipe. However, there is a threadless union for iron pipe which uses a threaded galvanized body, two rubber compression seals and two threaded nuts to tighten the seals. Its sorta like a compression union used for copper tubing. Installed one underground on the water main at my son's house about 15 years ago and its still in service.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Well the durn meter is about 2 feet the other side of the sidewalk, then another 2 feet is the street curb, and about a foot from a large tree. An access hole is probably not possible. I will however see what's going on in the meter well, and see about snaking poly down through there. Pulling it with the old iron pipe sounds like a viable solution if it can get it disconnected from the meter and get something attached to it. Thanks to all who have had input here, it's given me inspiration to do it all the way.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Au contraire. He can go down to the plumber and ask for a "Dressler coupling". Made specifically for that purpose. It is a compression fitting and is a common item. Also used to splice galv pipe when there is no room to insert threaded fittings. They are also made for PVC/CPVC pipe but I don't trust them there due to the pipe deforming over time.

Best is to inspect the pipe condition and if it is at all corroded, replace all the way.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You already know the answer. There is no simple way to correct this and even if you do, it will cost even more later to replace the pipe.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My house was plumbed with steel pipe about 1976. This spring I had to replace a steel nipple that would not flow water. Literally, valve on, end open, no water. It was the feeder for a frost proof hose bib. Last fall it flowed a decent amount of water, but after no usage all winter, nothing came out in the spring.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

FWIW - utilities pay companies to tunnel under driveways and sidewalks all the time.

Reply to
Jackson

if you do, it will cost even more later to replace the pipe.

There certainly is a simple way. It is a "Dressler Coupling".

Replacing the pipe is the best solution though.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

"Jackson" wrote in news:K_edndO5hcIBWTvbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Just yesterday I saw the gas company pull a line for a house where the feed was on the opposite side of the street. They dig a hole on both ends to the depth then put this large diameter pipe thingy with a piston in it. Connects to a commercial tow behind compressor like for jackhammers. It piledrives itself through and pulls two flexible hoses (gas and tracer line). Did same thing to go through the yard. Went within 6" of a tree. Guy said no problem. It just pushes even big roots aside or busts them.

Foreman says "Cool huh?!

Reply to
Al Bundy