Iron pipe for water .... a mistake

Greetings,

Just leave it. There is no way ripping the wall apart will be worth your time unless there is some reason you MUST.

William

Reply to
William.Deans

Greetings,

If he intended to but in Galvanized but put in Black he shouldn't have to worry about Galvanic action unless he should have been putting in Galvanized either.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

It's connected somewhere stupid. Most likely to galv. You're not a plumber too, are you?

Get a clue you jackass. You don't have to 'try' and answer every question that's asked here.

Reply to
G Henslee

Greetings,

If I am wrong feel free to attack my answers based upon logic and science.

William

Reply to
William.Deans

Reply to
ADC

I'm not a plumber, but can't you just remove the spigot and take out the black pipe? I thought they were threaded in the wall and part of it sticks out of the finished wall,so there is no need to do any demo.

Reply to
Mikepier

Drywall's cheap, rip it out and do it right.

Oh now there's a fine lesson to teach, screw the next guy? Most states have requirements on disclosing known problems. Don't compound the trouble, just replace the pipe.

Reply to
wkearney99

My son accidentally put a length of black pipe in his bathtub. It is from the faucet to the spigot. Now, when you

1st turn it on, you get a small amount of orange water. I know, in the old days (very old days) they sometimes used black iron for water. Is is worth tearing down the now finished wall to redo the pipe, or will it rust so far and quit? He probably will sell the house in a year or so. Thanks.
Reply to
Art Todesco

Just be happy it is only the bathtub. If it were a drinking source like a sink, it might be worth it but most people shower or run the tap for a minute before filling a tub so I doubt it would be noticed. It will continue to rust but many years will pass before that would be a problem.

Reply to
PipeDown

But what material is the pipe made of that it is connected to. Galvanic action may cause a leak fast. John

Reply to
JohnR66

That or use the other side of the wall if it's an interior wall.

Yeah, learning this after tile was installed would also indicate there probably wasn't a permit filed for it, let alone an actual inspection. Always good to check with the permitting office BEFORE buying a home to see if they filed the right permits for the work.

Reply to
wkearney99

Well worth the effort to fix it.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Wow. who pissed in your pants today?

Reply to
squiggles

I am not sure what pipe you mean. Is it the pipe between the faucet and the shower head? If that's the one, just leave it. There is only water in that pipe when the shower is being used and the pipe will last forever. You'll just need to let it run a few seconds to get rid of the rust colored water. However, if it's connected to the water feed from your water supply, you will eventually have a problem and would be best to replace it.

Reply to
squiggles

Unpleasant memories! I had the same experience when installing a Moen single handle tub/shower several years ago. The installation instructions say, "Caution, use 1/2" iron pipe for tub drop." This is the vertical pipe from the valve down to the elbow and nipple that support the tub spout. I, of course, followed the instructions exactly. Since all the other plumbing and fittings are copper or brass, I got the galvanic action and lots of rust in our softened water. Learning of the problem after the installation was complete, I had to open the wall and replace that piece of pipe with brass to provide equivalent rigidity.

I cannot understand why Moen would make such a directive when copper plumbing has been the standard for many years.

Incidentally, if the problem is not corrected, it may produce rather persistent rust stains on the tub.

SJF

Reply to
SJF