Iron has melted cloth stuck to it

How do you remove a nylon joging pant material from my iron. Iron was too hot and the material melted to the iron.

You go to Bed Bath & Beyond and buy a Rowena iron cleaning kit. And next time, read the label on the fabric. Sheesh....
Go to Walmart and buy a better iron for about $30. Consumer Reports rated a best buy sold exclusively there. I don't remember the model so check old issues at the library. I think it was a GE.

Doesn't matter what iron she uses if she cranks up the heat too much for a particular fabric. The best iron on earth will have problems if used incorrectly.

I agree but my wife bought one of those cheap Walmart best buy irons a couple of years ago and says its terrific. She dumped her expensive iron. She even dropped the new iron once and it was fine. Its a definite bargain and there is no point agonzing over a damaged iron when you can get a terrific one for $30.

Why not take it off same way it got on there? Heat till it melts and wipe it off with a paper towel
On 18 Apr 2006 07:48:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

I would do that, except use a metal putty knife for an iron with a metal bottom, and a plastic putty knife for an iron with a teflon bottom. If not a putty knife, any stiff plastic (on the flimsy notion that stiff plastic melts at a hotter temperature than flexible plastic. Let me know OP if that is true.)
If the putty knife, under 50 cents at the hardware store, melts, you can sand it back to the original shape a quarter inch shorter.
Maybe the paper towel would work, but don't burn yourself when the nylon soaks through the paper.

notion
I have been reading this thread with interest and think personally, I would go out and buy another iron. The methods sound very good, although you need to be so careful but there is time involved as well and... a new clothes iron is under $20.
We use an iron for sealing bags of coffee and when they get too gummed up, we try to clean them, but ultimately go out to Wal-Mart and get a new one.
Just my $.02.
aloha, Thunder smithfarms.com Farmers of pure Kona Coffee
And I am hoping that you were not intentionally ironing a pair of nylong jogging pants, right? Right?
-Kevin

Hey....I worked with a guy who ironed his friggin' undershirts. A bunch of us were de-shirting after work one day to use the basketball court outside the office. The guy's undershirt had creases in the sleeves, sharp enough to slice vegetables with.
You name it, some people think it needs to be ironed. My mother ironed my father's socks and underwear. I have a friend who thinks her towels look better ironed. Too much time on her hands, I guess.
Jo Ann
Yeah, I wish I had time to iron ... um.... anything. Not that I'd use that time for ironing even if I did have it. In peace corps I used to have to iron everything because of the flesh-eating alien parasites endemic to west africa, but that was a different story.

Let me guess. You use a curling iron. Some people iron their hair on an ironing board.
Ha, not in this lifetime! I am one of the rare sisterhood blessed with naturally curly hair! Now granted, in the '60s, that probably would have meant an iron and ironing board for me...but in the new millenium, it means no curling iron :)
Jo Ann

I suspect that if you empty the iron and stick it in the freezer for an hour, the melted plastic will then pry/scrape off with a plastic spatula or putty knife.

Holy moly, that kind of puts melted nylon into perspective....
Jo Ann
Lacquer thinner will desolve nylon, but it must be handled with caution. It is highy inflameable and vapors are toxic if breathed to any extent. So ventalation is needed. Use rubber cloves, not plastic ,and cotton cloth or paper towel. So work outside and be very careful. dispose of waste in a careful manner. There are four common solvents normally used by the handyman. They Mineral Spirits, Acholol, Lacquer Thinner and Acetone. Each serves a purpose but should be used with caution.

Heat it up and rub as much as you can off with a paper towel or soft cloth. Then polish it (cool) with a paste of bon-ami and a little water.
Bob