Iron fence latch and cold weather

Howdy Folks,

Hoping someone can help out here.... i live in nyc and have a brick and iron fence. The gate is iron and has latch. It's been very cold lately and the door and/or the iron latch has shifted. The latch won't grab on securley and the gate swings open with a gust of wind.

Any one how to deal with this? I'm hoping I won't have to call someone in.

Thanks!

Jay

Reply to
Jay

When the ground thaws it should come back. Get a round course cut file and see if you can make it fit

Reply to
m Ransley

Well, it's not going to fix itself unless the weather does it when it warms up. In the meantime why not use a cheap bungy cord?

Reply to
Professor

lately

someone

It doesn't sound like you want to work on it yourself much, but just in case, I offer this idea. Home centers and hardwares have gate springs that will push the gate closed. The certainly will overcome the wind. Often they are adjustable as well and perhaps yours even has one installed that could be adjusted. I have also found that a little filing in the right place will sometimes allow the latch to grab. A spray of WD-40 might make the mechanism less sluggish.

Reply to
Al Bundy