Iron and ? in well water....

Curious about stuff in water line to my pond, which is a fibber-mcgee arrangement of clear plastic tubing hooked to outside hose faucet. It is 1/4" ID and simply lies across the lawn for 100' because I'm too old to dig a trench for the dang thing. It got plugged up, after working fine all summer (exposed to full sun), so I cut off the end nearest the pump...started there because it looked like that end had the most sediment in it, and that got it running again. I dug some of the gunk out of it, out of curiosity, and it is really strange...it had formed what looked like a membrane around the outside of the plug, and the inner stuff was like decomposed vegetative stuff. Algae? What grows in well water? I knew it was loaded with iron, as watering lawn will stain anything it hits, and household water is fine with water softener.

Another curiosity with the water is that running faucets, sometimes the kitchen and always one of two bath sinks, the water seems to pulsate like a heartbeat. Sign of pump trouble?

The house might be somewhat posessed (might as well mention this whilst I'm at it)...ice maker on the Frigidaire has quit working twice for long periods of time; most recently, we had neighborhood power outage for a couple of hours night before last. Next morning, the ice maker resumed working and still works. I did a search online last time to see what might be wrong, and it sounded like it would the the regulator thingy on the back of the friggin fridge, which is too expensive to bother with if we buy it and DIY repairs. Water line for fridge from pipe to fridge is plastic, about 15-ish feet long....I'm not fond of overhead repairs, as they make my neck creak. Water runs from the door faucet, a tad slow....not enough pressure to get the icemaker cranking?

Reply to
Norminn

Bacteria grow in well water. More so when exposed to warmth from sunlight. All well water has bacteria. On rare exception they come from septic contamination and are harmfull.

One house we had in Central Oregon had bacteria that fed on the iron in the steel pipe going down the well. Our current house well does not do that, but has other bacteria that do just what you described in our irrigation system.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Well mites?

Giant well mites.

Just kidding. There are no well mites afaik.

Reply to
micky