Irish math

I do not get the Irish math sig of Mr Meehan.
26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
LB

I had a hard time also until it was explained.
26 counties in Ireland proper and 6 counties in Northern Ireland make one Country...
HeatMan wrote:

Thank you.
LB
snipped-for-privacy@notmine.com wrote:

An Irishman captures a Leprechan who, in return for freedom, grants the Irisman three wishes.
The Irishman doesn't hesitate: "For me first wish, I'll be havin' a never-empty whiskey bottle."
POOF! A bottle of whiskey appears. Glug-glug-glug goes the bottle as the Irisman drains it. Then blip-blip-blip goes the bottle as it magically refills itself.
"For me last wish," says the Irishman, "I'll be havin' another bottle just like that one!"
It's Irish math.
Whats his second wish?
I don't think he could count.
Perce
On 02/23/05 01:16 pm Matt tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

He can't remember....hmmm...wonder why....Ross
snipped-for-privacy@notmine.com wrote:

This Ireland of ours has too long been half free Six counties lie under John Bulls tyranny. -- Tom H
Yes the north is free they VOTE!

You don't even want to go to that spot me muckle! They do vote in the "Bastard Counties" (the north to you) and the results are accepted so long as they are acceptable to Ian Paisley and the rest of the Proties!!!!!!!!
Dave D

Ulster will fight, and Ulster will be right.
No Surrender!

So somebody finally asked! As an ex Brit I had no trouble understanding the first time I saw "Irish math". But not wishing to inflame an old and still current controversy, have not commented, til now. One slight problem is that citizens of the six 'Northern Ireland' (Ulster) counties have voted, several times, since 1921, to stay within the British UK. To go against that would be rather like telling the voters in say, New Mexico, that regardless of what they want their territory is going to be returned to its former owner, Mexico? Or selling Alaska back to the Russians? Whether Northern Ireland voters will alter their attitude now that Eire has demonstrated so dramatically its ability to prosper as a member of the EU (European Economic Union) is, I guess, unknown. My connection; well a great grandfather who left Northern Ireland in the late 1800s and that I lived in Liverpool; which was rudely referred to as the "Capital of Ireland", it's now a somewhat depressed ex-seaport, because of the number of Irish of both supposedly 'Christian' stripes who immigrated there looking for work! Nowadays Ireland imports seasonal workers, some from this side of the Atlantic and in recent years has had the fastest rate of growth in the EU. But it's absolutely amazing when old enemies such as the Germans, Belgians, French and the British can put several deadly centuries of wars behind them and cooperate within the EU, that religious groups in Northern Ireland, headed by hate-mongers on both sides, are still parading and arguing about "The battle of the Boyne" (1690 AD) or some such nonsense of several hundred years ago. Ridiculous! Thankfully I live in a region of North America where such feuds are long (like 100 years) past and 'cooperation' between denominations within each community is the order of the day. Noticeable too; some years ago we voted 72% in favour of changing to a non denominational public school system. As a result today there is an even greater degree of cooperation between all faiths.