Irene damage

Page 2 of 2
RBM wrote the following:

On the NY side of the Hudson, there was a lot of outages and flooding. Not from the Hudson River, but by all the streams and rivers that came down from the Catskill Mtns. that were overwhelmed by the amount of rain. Roads and Bridges flooded, and in some cases, destroyed. Two towns were almost wiped out. Prattsville and Margaretville.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I thought you meant Prattsville & Windham, because our newsfolks haven't made it to Margaretville. I just looked at some news on them.
Prattsville is effectively gone. The lower end of Windham was also washed away. And on down below them the Schoharie flooded several more, but with less force-- so the majority of folks kept their houses- and were gifted a few feet of mud to shovel out. Middleburg & Schoharie had 6 feet of water in their Main Streets. Further down, Central Bridge, Esperance, and ???? [can't ever remember the next hamlet's name] sustained some pretty severe damage.
And the Schoharie dumps into the Mohawk- where it registered record highwater, flooded parts of a couple of cities and threatened a dam below. Power is still out for a few folks.
Houses that had survived over 200 years were destroyed in this one.
Oh yeah-- and the first town to get flooded seems to have been forgotten by our locals who are all covering Schoharie & Greene county-- Fleishmann's in Delaware county got *no* warning and a couple folks died.
That said-- RBM's remark that we were lucky, still applies. When I look at where the Mohawk River was, and imagine what a few more inches of rain might have done. . . Phew-
Jim

*I also consider myself lucky to have gone through the storm with no damage, flooding, or loss of power. I was very worried about my roof after hearing the possible wind speeds to be expected. It was much less than predicted. Unfortunately the usual areas in NJ that get flooding got hit very hard this time. Some people in the Bergen/Passaic County area keep a small boat in their backyard even though they are inland because they need it occasionally.
I get annoyed at politicians and newscasters who question and threaten the power companies. The utilities have a vested interest in getting power restored ASAP. 500,000 homes and businesses without power means an equal number of electric meters are not spinning and generating revenue.
Welcome back to civilization Roy.

One town selectman was complaining that the utility crews were not working around the clock. They guys are working 16 hour shifts. What more can they do? People were complaining that the Woodstock Fair Grounds got power before they did so it must have been preferential treatment. The grounds or on a main road along a main feeder line. The people complaining are a couple mils up the secondary roads covered with downed trees. Duh!
CT went from 800,000 without power to 4142 this morning. I think that is amazing. I don't know if better tree trimming or such would have helped, but they did a great job of getting people back quickly, IMO.